Ohio Game Fishing banner

St Clair May 1st-8th

188K views 2K replies 104 participants last post by  fastwater 
#1 ·
First time to St. Clair, can't wait! We've been to Presque the last 10yrs and decided to change it up this year! If anyone else will be there same time and would like to compare notes, shoot me a message! Thinking fish will be on beds, should be great as long as weather stays stable!

#2 ·
I go pretty much every weekend in the spring. You should be timing it pretty good. Water temps were 47-52 last weekend and they were eating good and sitting in 5-8 ft of water. You barley have to leave the marina to find them. I have a couple recent reports in the NW Ohio section, and I'll be there again this weekend so I should have another report posted by early next week.

#4 ·
I go pretty much every weekend in the spring. You should be timing it pretty good. Water temps were 47-52 last weekend and they were eating good and sitting in 5-8 ft of water. You barley have to leave the marina to find them. I have a couple recent reports in the NW Ohio section, and I'll be there again this weekend so I should have another report posted by early next week.
I'm heading up may 18 thru the 22nd. Interested in seeing all reports!! Trying to plan a June trip too....

#7 ·
I think they started early this year and now it is in a holding pattern. Fish are shallow for sure, but that 2 week period of absolute chaos hasn't started yet. Temps have stayed stable because this spring some nice days have been mixed in with moderate ones, tomorrow high of 52 for instance, My guess is spawn is about 1-2 weeks away. Anchor bay, maybe 2+ weeks it is colder up there with the St Clair river dumping colder water in there. Hope you guys don't catch the post spawn funk in late May. It will all depend on weather the next two weeks. RangerPig you should have a good week regardless, and you might catch the pre spawn feed frenzy just right. Stock up on blade baits, swimbaits, craws and jerkbaits, You wont need much else. The Jerkbait bite has not started yet, everything for us has been blades, craws and swims. With blades the leader by far. Leaving for nine mile point at 8 am tomorrow so Ill have another report for you guys tomorrow night. Ill get you as much info as I can.

#13 ·
Fished LSC 5/6-5/9 and fishing is still slow.

We fished hard for 20-30 per day.
Water temps actually dropped while we were there under mostly stable weather. 54-59 degrees is what we read and most of the fish came in 7-10' Yesterday we started seeing some bass cruising the nests and we did pick up 3 smallmouth over 5lbs with one topping 6. We also landed 4 Ski's all over 44" and some good sized Pike.

Jerkbaits, Scrounger and Drop shots took most of our fish.

I will be back up again from MAY 19th thru JUNE 5th

#17 ·
We did have wind the last two years too. I just made sure to have a short leader (7-8 inches) and a longer spinning rod with a sensitive tip. I wasn't making real long casts so there was no mistaking a bite as long as I kept slack out of the line. We stay in roseville and dock out of st clair shores. What part are you fishing? I would like to fish the river which I haven't done yet.

#18 ·
For my first time in St. Clair, I'm happy with our results! We found a little area near the 400 club and hammered it for most of the week! Tried other areas with limited to no success. We threw jerkbaits for the entire week, my arms are trashed!!! My buddy kicked my ass this week! He had 3 fish over 6, and at least 10 in the 5's. My big fish was just over 5 with numerous fish in the high 4's. Our overall average per day was 30-40 with our best day around 65. Lots of pike and muskie. I did take honors in the Muskie class with a nice 42". Our best depth was 8-10ft.
Fish Bass Fishing Recreation Jigging
Fish Fishing Bass Recreation Cod
Fish Fishing Bass Cod Recreation

#29 ·
they had dredged the nasty muck out the day we came in and the ramp was a mess.
they did eventually wash the ramp by the day I left. that place is always bad with algae and debre. do you launch anywhere south of there?

#31 · (Edited)
Reactions: Saugeye Tom
#32 ·
#36 ·
I do not think a bad day is possible in the Mitchells bay area!
Have you ever been questioned regarding targeting bass in that area while the season is closed?

My friends from Texas are still there and fishing the West side of the lake.
I will call them and get an update this morning. I cant imagine that this weekend will be that good.
East winds have really kept the water cold around the mile rds area.

#38 ·
I do not think a bad day is possible in the Mitchells bay area!
Have you ever been questioned regarding targeting bass in that area while the season is closed?

My friends from Texas are still there and fishing the West side of the lake.
I will call them and get an update this morning. I cant imagine that this weekend will be that good.
East winds have really kept the water cold around the mile rds area.
I thought they eased up on targeting in Michigan? ?

#41 ·
5/13 @1pm

Just spoke to my friends on the water. Wind is howling from the west but not creating a lot of waves on the Mile Roads areas. Water is clear and 58-60degrees and fishing has picked up. Smallies are hitting good and not being too selective on bait type. They said that jerk baits have been the top producer so far.

#43 ·
Tom, What days will you and your OGF group be there?
My gang will be arriving this thurs 5/19 and will be shuffling different groups in and out ever 3-4 days. SHAKEDOWN, KMB411, SOWBELLY101 and BOATTHINGS will be along for the ride this time! Should be great weather and big ## of bass.

#44 ·
Tom, What days will you and your OGF group be there?
My gang will be arriving this thurs 5/19 and will be shuffling different groups in and out ever 3-4 days. SHAKEDOWN, KMB411, SOWBELLY101 and BOATTHINGS will be along for the ride this time! Should be great weather and big ## of bass.
Ml1187...flannel carp, kl1100 all coming on Thursday the 19th...4 days. We'llbe staying at the holiday Inn express. The house was booked. We'll try to hook up at some point with you guys. Ruminator would like to go....