close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel Recipes

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by RiverWader, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

Whats the best way to cook or fix Squirrel?

2. Bring it to my house and I can show you then we can both eat, It is my favorite meal.

3. OK this is the only way I cook my fur bearing tree rodents. Start out by putting some biscuits in the oven. Then in a cast iron skillet heat up some vegi oil. cut your squirrel into pieces. roll it into some flour. Just a dusting is good, we are not trying to make fried chicken here. Now put the floured squirrel pieces into the hot pan. fry it till it is golden brown. Remove the squirrel from the pan and set aside to cool. Now mix some flour in a small amount of cold water.( if you dont do this you will end up with lumpy gravy) Dump this into the pan that you just cooked the squirrel in. Add some milk, salt , and pepper and stir till it thickens. Now pull the squirrel meat off the bones, and toss it into the gravy. Spoon this over the hot biscuits. Pretty simple. Some of the best squirrel gravy over biscuits I have ever had. The only way I will fix it.

Just writing this makes me want some.

4. poloaman

poloaman Smallmouth rule

I put a recipe on last spring you can try do an advanced search and use my user name and it will pull it up

poloaman

5. You will need at least one squirrel to prepare this recipe………..
    If there are no squirrels, use the neighbor’s cat!

Cut the squirrel into 5 parts.
    Front shoulders with legs.
    Rear legs.
    Back and chest.

Bend the ribs back and break so you can have the back and rib cage pressed flat to
    the bottom of the pan.

Use a “no stick” fry pan just large enough to hold all of the squirrel.

Salt and pepper the pieces and place in the pan. Arrange the pieces so there is little or no space between the pieces. If you can just fill the pan, all the better. Sprinkle some garlic flakes or powder on the meat.

Now cover the pieces with bacon. Make sure the edges of the bacon overlay just enough to completely seal the meat pile. Tuck the bacon in or under around the edge.

Spread some diced peppers, onion rings, fresh or canned mushrooms slices and tomato slices on top of bacon. The peppers, onion and mushrooms are basic. You can substitute anything you like.

Now add a bit of beer (or water) to the pan so you have about 1/8” of liquid in the pan. The beer gives more flavor.

Put the lid on the pan and turn the fire on very low so you heat the whole mess slowly for 5-10 minutes.

Slowly increase the fire until you can hear the liquid start to simmer. You do not want to boil.

Leave simmering for about 30-40 minutes, then pour off excess accumulated liquid, so again there is about 1/8” of liquid left. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.

Check the meat with a fork. The back legs should begin to feel tender. Pour off the liquid and continue to cook another 15 minutes with the lid on.

Pour off all liquid, turn everything and increase flame a bit. Continue to cook with the lid off and turn about every 5 minutes. The meat will brown slightly and bacon
    will start to crisp. Check for tenderness and serve with bisquits.

6. What you'll need:
    2-3 lbs. of squirrel, rabbit, or both--boned, cut into 1" pieces
    1 cup oil
    1 cup flour
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    2-3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    2 quarts beef broth
    2-3 bay leaves
    Cajun rub

To start, coat the meat with cajun rub and quickly sautee in a hot pan (3-4 mins.). You don't want to completely cook the meat, just sear the seasoning in. Remove from heat, add a little water, cover and set aside.
    Next, make a chocalate colored rue. Do this by cooking the flour in the oil. This will take about 30 minutes, and will require almost constant stirring.
    Once the rue is to color, add the vegetables.stir to coat and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the beef broth (start by adding 1 quart, bring to boil, then gradually add 2nd quart). Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Add meat and bay leaves, cover, and simmer for 2-3 hours.
    Serve in a bowl over cooked white rice.
    Works well with other game, but deer and waterfowl tend to be a little tough. If you are lucky enough to have grouse, add some--makes for a perfect gumbo.
    Enjoy!

7. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

I quarter mine and boil them for 20 minutes. Shock the pieces in cold water and pull all the meat from the bones. Put 4 or 5 squirrels worth of meat and a large onion chopped in a crocpot and add a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce. Cook on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
    Ends up like a good bbq beef sandwich. Serve on kaiser rolls with hot pepper cheese to top. mmmmmmmmmmmm good.

There is a whole thread in the small game hunting forum about tree rat recipes.

8. Stew 2 or 3 squirrels in water seasoned with salt, pepper, celery, carrot, onions and garlic until tender, skimming off any foam that forms on the surface.

Remove meat and cool and bone the meat. In a skillet, saute 2 finely diced shallots and 2 cloves minced garlic in 3 or 4 tbl. butter over medium heat, taking care not to burn them or they will become bitter. Add 1 to 2 cups chantrelle or shitake mushrooms and saute slowly until mushrooms are almost cooked. Remove the mushroom and shallots and add 1 cup white wine to the pan and bring to a boil, reduce by about half, about 5 minutes or so. Add a half pint of cream and a cup of good parmesan cheese and heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened via reduction and the cheese is melted, toss in a couple tbl of butter at the last instant to finish the sauce season with salt and white pepper. Add the vegetables and squirrel meat and stir to coat and heat through. Serve over linguine, I use spinach linquine.

I have also added sun dried tomato and julienned prosciutto to the sauce. You can use a good store bought sauce in a pinch. This is a recipe to use for a special occasion (like having your neighbors over who think they don't like game!)

If you do not want to do this, then keep the liquid you stewed the squirrel in, add some egg noodles and the meat back in serve over some mashed taters!

At any rate, slowly simmer the liquid and then freeze for stock!

9. Anyone ever used the head/ribs/spine etc. to make a squirrel stock for soup? I never have, but it seems like it should work. I hate to waste any.

10. Cook like a real man,... jam a stick through your limb rat and toast him over an open fire. :)

11. Rat jerky!

Me and a few buddies camped and hunted at Ohio Power one fall back in college. I browned a few squirrels and added shrooms, onions, carrots, taters, cream of chicken soup and few odds and ends into the dutch oven and dug a hole in the fire pit. I sealed the oven, threw in some coals and buried the oven. Had a cloths hanger attached to the handle so I could find it later.

I don't know how many times they asked me if was really going to be done when we got back. When we got back to camp, they were still betting that it would not be done as I dug it out but those fears were put to rest when the cloud of steam rolled out of the kettle. baked some biscuits with a reflector oven and enjoyed a pretty good meal.

Nothing like a cold day in a stand to make a simple meal seem grand.

12. mmmmm sound great i used to hunt but my eyes is not as good as they used to be i ate everything even the head i like the brains.