Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Bumper crop of hickory nuts & oaks look pretty decent, too. Didn't thin the squirrels out as much as normal last year, so I'm planning on making up for it this year !! Maybe it will keep some of them out of the wife's flowers.
When the youngest comes home for the weekend from college, he wants squirrel for supper ............. raised him up right !!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irony of it all.....Put the final touches on the boat restoration, just in time for hunting season...........fishin will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I just finished casting up a bunch of .32 caliber balls for my black powder rifle.

I am adding a peep sight to the rifle. The squirrel rifle is the one on the bottom. The top one is .50 caliber for deer.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just finished casting up a bunch of .32 caliber balls for my black powder rifle.

I am adding a peep sight to the rifle. The squirrel rifle is the one on the bottom. The top one is .50 caliber for deer.
.32 is a bit much for tree rat, don't ya think?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone wants a tag along, I'd be happy to go. Not sure of areas to hunt around central Ohio. Tuesdays and Saturdays are my days off. Good with guns, very safe. :) won't pull a "Cheney" on ya LOL.
Next time you're out on the northern pool in Alum Creek, north of the 36/37 causeway, look at the oak trees. This is a great huntin area. Motor into one of the coves very early in the morning, beach her and hike up to a stand. Good hunting at first light and then some fall crappie in the afternoon

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
.32 is a bit much for tree rat, don't ya think?

You have to remember that a black powder rifle does not have the velocity of a modern firearm. And you can adjust the powder charge. Actually does less damage than a 22lr hollow point. Hunting squirrel with a .32 black powder rifle is why this is America instead of a British colony. It made a lot of sharp shooters. Head shots only. Pic is from a friends hunt. And he has a higher velocity because the barrel is longer than my Crockett rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I tried to make these to print near actual size. Good for head shot practice.
Just remember that in a real hunting situation, be safe. Always line up your shot so the bullet will go into a tree trunk. This prevents the bullet going out of your immediate area when aiming up into a tree to take a squirrel.

Try printing as full page fax print.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to remember that a black powder rifle does not have the velocity of a modern firearm. And you can adjust the powder charge. Actually does less damage than a 22lr hollow point. Hunting squirrel with a .32 black powder rifle is why this is America instead of a British colony. It made a lot of sharp shooters. Head shots only. Pic is from a friends hunt. And he has a higher velocity because the barrel is longer than my Crockett rifle.
I did not take velocity into consideration..... The vision came to mind was hitting one, with something like a 30-30 and making squirrel pate'

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I did not take velocity into consideration..... The vision came to mind was hitting one, with something like a 30-30 and making squirrel pate'
That is what a lot of people think that are unfamiliar with a black powder gun. Squirrel pate' would be great on jalapeno crackers. I'll have to make some.

The black powder rifle shoots a small .32 caliber soft lead ball. That is about the size of 1, OO buckshot pellet from a shot shell. A powder charge is poured into the barrel, then the ball and patch is pushed into the barrel until it seats on top of the powder. But I have used the same ball in a 30-06 just to mess with a friend. Since I reload center fire ammo, the 30-06 squirrel round is a small charge of red dot shotgun powder with the .32 caliber ball seated at the tip of the brass. Same power as the black powder rifle.

The friend invited me to squirrel hunt. All I ever hunted with him up to that point was deer using a bow. So when we arrived at the squirrel woods, I pulled the Mauser 30-06 out of the gun case and get a "what the hell" response from him. So I said, I never hunting squirrel before, is the 30-06 enough gun? Wish I had a camera at the time to take a pic like the one I posted with the black powder rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Beautiful work with that smoke pole.

·
You can run !
209 Posts
Yep, I'm all dialed in. About the only thing left to do is spray my squirrel huntin clothes with the Permetherin spray. I don't need any chiggers, & or ticks latchin on to me. Had a pretty bad case of chiggers a few years ago & I never want to go through that again. Funny how ya can hunt for years and never get em. Then you go to a different part of the state do a little huntin and campin and Wow! What the heck happened here. At first I thought it was skeeter bites, then I thought maybe fleas. Then I found out it was em dag nabbed Chiggers.... Took months to heal up completely. Hope nobody else gets em that bad. Alrighty then, tic toc tic toc !#!#!#!#!#!#:)
16 Days to go!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.