close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spyware/Adware heads up

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

For the past week, I've been dealing with a pretty nasty rash of spyware/adware/trojans (thanks to my lovely wife!) and I've pretty much installed just about every software package I could get my hands on, including:

Ad Aware SE
    Spybot
    No Adaware
    Spyware Stormer
    Bazooka
    Pest Patrol

All found, cleaned various spywares, however I had one that was giving me HUGE problems, yet only one of the above found/cleaned it: Pest Patrol.

Unfortunately Pest Patrol isn't freeware, but it also comes with a background running up that almost acts like a real time virus scanner, as it prevents spyware from infecting your machine...not just cleaning stuff that's already there. Just thought I'd save anyone the hassle if they run into the same situation...Pest Patrol did what the other's couldn't.

2. I have never used Pest Patrol but it sounds like a pretty good product. They were just recently acquired by Computer Associates which tells me that it is a quality product or a large software company like CA would not invest in it. Unfortunately it looks as if it will cost you $40 though.:rolleyes: Once again the advertising conspirators win. I swear they are all in it together to create a need for their product.