close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

spun prop

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

spun my prop today and i did have a spare. unfortunately it was sitting at home. once i got home i did the repair in about 5 minutes. 55 psi torque sound about right for a 1996 merc 150 hp? my question is how do i get the old rubber hub out of the prop without doing damage to it. can it be heated without making the aluminum brittle? i tried pounding on it with an impact socket the same diameter as the hole in the prop on a block of wood with a sledge hammer, but its not budging. i dont want to get crazy with my blows incase i miss...think that will defete the purpose.lol. heat seems like my only option right now. thanks for any help.

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I has to be pressed in , take to a prop repair shop

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I always torque mine to 85lbs. That's what John on "SHIP SHAPE TV" recommends.

4. New hub at a good prop shop should run in the neighborhood 50-60 bucks.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

Sante Marine Propeller
    Al Soper
    2535 Center St., Bldg. B
    Cleveland, OH 44113
    Phone: 216-771-7767
    Fax: 216-771-8867
    E-mail: santemarine@sbcglobal.net

6. ezbite

thanks for the replys.

7. I would also consider a stainless steel prop, believe me you'll notice a marked upgrade in performance over aluminum. I run a 4 blade SS on my 150 Evinrude year round, great performance and well worth the money.

8. I lost a prop in Lake Erie a few years ago..I forgot to do some thing ,,I thought no problem I had a spare prop :) but guess what :mad: no hardware ,,had to be towed in

9. ezbite

what kind of grease do you guys use on the splined shaft when reinstalling the prop? thanks. i have quicksilver 2-4-C marine lub. will that work.

10. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

There is a recommended grease but I just use marine wheel bearing grease

11. Any good marine grease will work.

12. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I believe 2-4-C is the recommended. That is what I use.