Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This frog was the must have lure of 2 or 3 years ago. I got one a couple months ago and was very excited to get one, especially after my first few casts of hopping it back to me. While it does have a nice hop, not once did I actually cast a fish while hopping it (you can't hop it thru the types of smaller weeds found in most ponds in ohio). At rest the long strands of silicone hang vertically in the water.

Here's what sucks about it.

1. The rubber strands that make up the legs are constantly getting stuck bw the hook and the rubber body as well as going up into the hole the hook comes out from. It's annoying picking them out every few casts.

2. It is very good at picking up weeds bw the hook and the body.

3. I've given this frog equal time with the 2 mentioned below and it does not catch as many fish.

4. The price.

The bronzeye frog is a bunch of hype. Sure it catches fish, but if you are looking for better frog alternatives (weedless and float at rest)I recommend looking into the Scum Frog Bigfoot and the Snag Proof Tournament Series Frog(I've got 1/4 oz). Both are significantly better at not picking up weeds (they basically don't)as well as catching fish. In addition both use the owner brand frog hook which is a little smaller and better (both bc they are smaller as well as shape)than the gamakatsu the bronzeye uses IMHO.

My biggest gripe is that frogs are best fished in heavy weeds and I can't fish the bronzeye frog in heavy weeds w/o picking up weeds which it then drags behind it. It may fish lillies better, but I'm not fishing lillies.

This one is going in my Junque Cousteau box.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
Yeah...not a fan of the Spro frogs. I have a couple and they seem to never get used. I do like the Stanley ribbit frogs, but they are a different concept.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I love the spro frogs, catch plenty of fish for me and produce great. I've never had any problems and definitely prefer spro frogs over many others. I always use a twitch and pause technique and that always works best. Thanks for the review.

And PS JamesT you ever want to get rid of them frogs shoot me a PM.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to hang on to it bc I think it would do better than the others in thick lillies since it hops like a champ. Attached are pics of the weeds that the ponds I fish are loaded with. The leaves are about 3" long and 2cm wide. Can anyone ID the plant? Also shown are the three baits. If anyone has experience with other frogs that float at rest and are snagless I would love to hear your opinion. The ponds I fish are loaded with weeds and frogs. I've used the snag proof basic frog in the past and was not impressed. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize the legs of the spro are pictured inside the hook which is not how it comes. I was messing around with it to see if this would help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Each bait I buy I change it straight out of the package. On this bait I would definitely trim up the legs some...I did that and I think that helps. I cant remember if you said you were fishing the regular bronzeye or the bronzeye jr. Try the Jr and maybe trim the legs up some. Hopefully this helps.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I do think I'd like the Jr. better and that trimming up the legs would help out. Also someone needs to make a thinner wire frog hook.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you draining the water out of you'r frog's every once in a while? I have noticed that I have to squeeze the water out of my spro's when it starts setting with it's head pointing up too high. Which will also cause the hooks to catch more weeds.( I have seen people drill small holes in the butt of the frog to drain the water, I just squeeze them!) I dont have the same weeds as you do arround me,so I cant say I have the same problem as you do with the hooks catching the weeds. I use the spro's allot. I choose them over the scum frogs every time I fish weed beds. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying I like them better. If you dont have the bronzeye popper yet I would suggest giving them a try, I have 4 of them and like them all. (just my 2 cents) some times they want a fast twitch, sometimes they want a slow twitch and a big pause. Who knows. I noticed that you said that you silicone strands hang vertically, I havent seen any of the ones I have do that! I am with you on the price being too high, I wish they were cheaper because I really like them...B.L.
p.s. I did not change my "qoute" below my name bacause of this thread, it has always said that "scum frog's suck" ;)

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny on the title above your avatar. I was just trying to change mine but couldn't figure out where that setting was buried.

I do periodically squeze the water out but probably not enough. I think I wait until it starts sinking. The next time I'll squeze it out more. I would think the higher it sits the less likely it is to pick up weeds. Also I just put it in a bowl of water and stand corrected, the silicone? strands do indeed float. Thanks for tips!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hate my Spro frog! Been throwing it for 2 yrs. caught 1 fish. I have to agree they do seem to catch a lot of weeds. Which is so frustrating when you bought the frog for that reason, to be able to fish slop and weeds without any problems.

How do you like that Scum Bigfoot? I've been thinking about getting one but always wondered is it belly weighted like the spro frog? Can you cast it a mile like the spro?

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can definitely launch the spro(regular size at least)!

"I hate my Spro frog! Been throwing it for 2 yrs. caught 1 fish."

I've caught 1 fish on mine and had 2-3 other bites.

"I have to agree they do seem to catch a lot of weeds. Which is so frustrating when you bought the frog for that reason, to be able to fish slop and weeds without any problems."

They look like they'd do well (and very fun to hop from pad to pad)in a cove filled thick with lilly pads. They don't do well in the weeds I encounter.

"How do you like that Scum Bigfoot? I've been thinking about getting one but always wondered is it belly weighted like the spro frog? Can you cast it a mile like the spro? "

Interesting, I'm looking at the bigfoot and it is not weighted at all. It relies on the weight of the legs, thick hook, and hollow body for its weight. It does not cast as far as the spro but it casts well (I was very surprised to find that there was no dedicated weight). It is my favorite. I can fish it thru the weeds. It is kind of like a buzzbait when reeled straight in. Makes good commotion (more commotion than any of the frogs like horny toad, mann hard nose frog, BPS frog, etc,etc,etc). When I was at Richard's someone turned me on to this frog and I would recommend it to you. It is $5.50, not $9.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
this frog was the must have lure of 2 or 3 years ago. I got one a couple months ago and was very excited to get one, especially after my first few casts of hopping it back to me. While it does have a nice hop, not once did i actually cast a fish while hopping it (you can't hop it thru the types of smaller weeds found in most ponds in ohio). At rest the long strands of silicone hang vertically in the water.

Here's what sucks about it.

1. The rubber strands that make up the legs are constantly getting stuck bw the hook and the rubber body as well as going up into the hole the hook comes out from. It's annoying picking them out every few casts.

2. It is very good at picking up weeds bw the hook and the body.

3. I've given this frog equal time with the 2 mentioned below and it does not catch as many fish.

4. The price.

The bronzeye frog is a bunch of hype. Sure it catches fish, but if you are looking for better frog alternatives (weedless and float at rest)i recommend looking into the scum frog bigfoot and the snag proof tournament series frog(i've got 1/4 oz). Both are significantly better at not picking up weeds (they basically don't)as well as catching fish. In addition both use the owner brand frog hook which is a little smaller and better (both bc they are smaller as well as shape)than the gamakatsu the bronzeye uses imho.

My biggest gripe is that frogs are best fished in heavy weeds and i can't fish the bronzeye frog in heavy weeds w/o picking up weeds which it then drags behind it. It may fish lillies better, but i'm not fishing lillies.

This one is going in my junque cousteau box.
try it on 65 lbs braid much better then mono;)tru-tugsten has a better frog out mad maxx frog

·
Registered
211 Posts

I do periodically squeze the water out but probably not enough. I think I wait until it starts sinking. The next time I'll squeze it out more. I would think the higher it sits the less likely it is to pick up weeds.

Are you saying that you are picking up weeds on the nose of the frog? If it sets with the nose higher, it makes the hooks set lower (in the weeds) which is not what you want.I have been fishing the spro's all week, to see if I can get it to catch some weeds on the nose. I have caught some nice bass on them all week. I have been throwing black widow, albino, green tree, putty/black, tropical white and leopard. I have had the best luck on the albino, and nothing on the black widow yet. I am going to get a color they call KILLER, it is a black and white patern that looks like it would work well. Like I said I have been throwing these all week in the thickest crap I can find, and i can't get them to pick up a large amount of weeds yet. I have noticed that when I stop reeling them and just give them a slight pull instead of coming to a complete pause, the fish have been hitting them more often than when i let them set for a few seconds.:confused: Don't give up on them yet. I have been catchin plenty on them this year And just to be fair, I caught a nice bass today on a white and red "Scum Frog". The little big foot style...B.L.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all the weeds I pick up with the spro get wedged bw the hook and the body(in the back end of the bait). Yesterday I tried to pick up a single weed with the scum frog bigfoot and couldn't - I was throwing it is solid weeds (they're even starting to flower now). Maybe the color I got isn't good around here. I haven't given up it seems like a big fish lure. I've got patience. It is also more of a finesse bait than the bigfoot, so I probably need to be more patient when fishing. Bigfoot is basically a buzzbait that floats at rest and is weedless.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
That is one great picture!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is a great pic, and it is my favorite color. My frog does not look that good though. I think I caught too many bass on it.;) Braided line did mine in. It doesnt quite float like it should anymore. My scum frog looks like new though! :)...B.L.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts