Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't fished the western basin for spring walleye since the 80's. I was able to retire and purchased a boat to start fishing again.

What techniques and lures are working now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Pretty big question to answer in one post lol. I would start by looking at the Jim Stedke seminar in the Lake Erie section. In general trolling crankbaits like husky jerks and perfect 10s will work well. Jigging the reefs with bladebaits or hair jigs will be productive very soon.

·
Registered
677 Posts
All the info you looking for are in these threads.Have to decide if want to cast or troll.Would be advisable to start setting your boat up for trolling if not doing well jigging or casting harnesses.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Pound the bottom with Hair jigs for smaller fish. Troll cranks just off the edges of reefs for larger fish. 20- 60 back might be the range for any given day. Vary speed till you get em going. 1.3 -2.0 might be a good start.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Reefrunners, Bandits, Deep Husky Jerks, P10s run them most days 8-16’ deep . Listen to ch79on ship to shore radio and you’ll likely hear what’s working for others.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,459 Posts
Jigging either the reefs or even deep water until.the water warms and then they will be chasing casting harnesses ! But being I do No trolling that is all I know ! Good luck on what ever you do ? Also check out the Eye-Keeper Drift and Cast thread on general discussion page

Capt Mike (Wojo)

·
Registered
203 Posts
The same things you used to do in the 80’s. Guys like to get all fancy and technical but the reality is we’ve been trolling cranks, and or casting jigs and harnesses since I can remember.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,459 Posts
The same things you used to do in the 80’s. Guys like to get all fancy and technical but the reality is we’ve been trolling cranks, and or casting jigs and harnesses since I can remember.
Agree ! I see people buying these lures that cost $10+ and then they have to get every color possible ! Large investment to me ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts