Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to plan a bass trip up north for the fiirst week in May, can anyone help me out. Is East Harbor a good place to fish? :B

My boat is an aluminum tracker (18 foot) Will I be alright on Erie or the harbor?:C

If I were to bring a few tasty beverages with me, would I go to jail?:D

Should I try South Bass Island instead?

Thanks for your help, OGF really helped me plan a great trip last year, I'm hoping for more of the same this time. Any suggestions are appreciated greatly. Catch and Release as always.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
East Harbor is a good place for LargeMouth. You can try South Bass or Kellys for the smallmouth if you don't want to run very far and if the Lake gets too rough Sandusky Bay has a good population of bass. Otherwise get a Canadian license and run to Peele Island for some of the best Smallmouth fishing in the world (my opinion)

You will not get in trouble for bringing tasty beverages on the lake.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The islands (and surrounding area) have a great reputation for smallmouth. Recently listened to a guy at a seminar who said the Ohio/PA boarder was excellent smallie fishing. Might be worth exploring sometime.

If the tasty beverages are alcoholic in nature, you might want to read the laws carefully.

Best of luck fishin in 07.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
East Harbor is a good place for LargeMouth. You can try South Bass or Kellys for the smallmouth if you don't want to run very far and if the Lake gets too rough Sandusky Bay has a good population of bass. Otherwise get a Canadian license and run to Peele Island for some of the best Smallmouth fishing in the world (my opinion)

You will not get in trouble for bringing tasty beverages on the lake.
I did not fish Pelee last year how was it .. I use to fish it all the time ..

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Roger,

Peele was great this year like usual. The normal spots produced fish at certain time of the year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Be careful with the beverages. Im not trying to be a downer, I love a nice cold one just like everyone else, but they are really cracking down on the drinking. Last July I got a DUI pulling into my dock in West Harbor at 6:30 in the afternoon. The Division of Watercraft guy told me I was the 6th DUI case he had wrote that day. So be careful Its not like it used to be. All they have to do is say they want to do a safety check, and if you smell at all like alcohol your going down, no if ands or buts. I already have $5000 in attorney fees to fight it(thats another story!!). So that tasty cold one could turn out to be one pretty expensive beer. I wish someone would have told me about how bad they had become before I had a couple of beers at the beach on a hot July day.

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
every year thay set up a sting at the ramps here in cleveland and wait for the guys to come back from a night of drinking in the flats area. they get one after another, and have em lined up on the benches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pelee has not been near as productive for me the last couple of years and I am looking for info regarding the pa./oh. line referrred to in the post by goodbassfisher. Having the advantage now of being a few years older, having that cold one can now wait the fishing trip is over. The people I know personally (not second hand) that have had run ins with the coast guard in west harbor and have had to spend a lot of time and money in trying to get themselves out of trouble under very questionable circumstances. now these guys might not be choir boys, but the tactics used by the coast guard seem almost nazi-type, and have even ended up being looked at by the people in command at the Marblehead station. I guess the best advice is to be polite and take down all the names of the officers you deal with. ollie

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am definitely am not interested in dealing with any officers. In fact, I guess I am looking for a good place to stay out of trouble!;) I thought the authorities on Erie might be kinda strict. Thats why I asked. If I come home with fines and courtdates, that will be the last fishing trip the wife lets me go on.

Just to clarify, I am all for responsible boating. But it is nice to have a cold beer or two while fishing.

·
Super Moderator
3,922 Posts
East Harbor is a state park so def. no liquor in them parts.
Stay smart and save those wild times for when your feet are on the ground.

·
Still Deadly w/ The Net
1,900 Posts
Thought I would share a story with you guys, because I ended up learning something I never knew.

Everyone knows you can drink openly on a boat at all times as long as you are not the operator. BUT, lets say you and a buddy go up to the lake and take your buddies boat. He's not real familiar with the lake and the location of various landmarks (islands, marinas, harbors, etc.). You on the other hand are. Now, lets say your buddy drives the entire time. While it is legal for you to drink, the coast gaurd can arrest you and charge you with a DUI because since the guy driving isn't familiar with the area and you are, you are in effect navigating the boat (even if you really aren't).

I was lucky, and got out of it, but not without spending 3 hours with the coast gaurd doing all their dummy tricks and tests, getting my ear talked off and ruining the first day of a trip we looked forward to for months.

So be careful and use good judgement. The most typical reason people get pulled over is for lights. Make sure they are on and they work. Have all safety equipment up to date and on board.

·
Registered
166 Posts
First of all I am not here to say that I advocate drinking and driving, but just like Ollie said the Coast Guard and Division of Water Craft are almost becoming Nazi like. The DUI thing has become such a cash cow for them, and us boaters are such easy prey, that they are now focusing almost exculsively on arresting people on alcohol related charges.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Fishing Bays/Harbors - Some of the best bass fishing in Ohio - As stated before the harbors are full of LM. You do have several humps outside of the bays for SM and they are close to shore to get out of trouble if surprised by bad weather.

I asked a Division of Watercraft officer to inspect my boat while at the dock to earn my sticker for the year. During the inspection I asked him about alcohol on the water. 95% of the time I save the beverages for filleting. The 5% I have a beverage Im not the captain. I learned some aweful scenarios about drinking & boating on Lake Erie along with a few facts.

* 1 finished beer & its effects takes 1 hour to pass thru our system & 2 beers will take 1.5-2hrs to pass thru our system.
* Holidays are the worst time to have a beverage on the water. I recall a July 4th weekend when they were pulling boats over while standing at the gas dock as boaters entered the marina's after the fireworks. Like fish in a barrell.
* Drinking beverages with the brand exposed and not poured into a solid colored (non-see-thru) cup is viewed as advertising.

Another thing I learned ifrom my conversation if we ask the officers they will educate us.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts