Spring on Leesville

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by fishing_marshall, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Alright Leesville guys what are your favorite spring baits? I am new to muskie fishing and plan on hitting Leesville quite a bit this year. I got bit off there twice on a crawler harness in september and then caught a 44incher in December on a vibee. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. From the little i know, i use Mepps Bucktails, sissons, monster shad also a bulldawg in the spring ive heard produces

3. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

In springtime, muskies are going to be feeding actively in open water, then retracting back to the shallow, warmest waters to digest. I recommend throwing bucktails and cranks in the shallows. Also, if you can locate big schools of bait with the fishfinder, casting bulldawgs and other soft plastics always seems to produce. Muskies will tend to follow big schools of bait, and if they see that bulldawg pouncing through the school, I can pretty much guarantee you one pissed off muskie.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Trolling Monster Shads, Sissons, and AC Shiner 00 around main lake points works well. Have also seen a good bit of action throwing gliders on the same points.
    Only other option for me is a 7" black bucktail in the backs of shallow bays.

5. Thanks for the replies. I know trolling sissons in brown tiger and candy apple red are hot there in the summer.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

the texas red, firetiger, and tenn shad Sissons are also killers on Leesville. I have had some in-depth conversations with a fella who lives on that lake and he has an entire tackle box full of Tennessee Shad colored Sissons. That should tell ya something ;)

7. Josh, from what' I've seen, MuskieJim is exactly right. They seem to hold in the deep parts of the lake near bait, but run extremely tight to shore in the bays to warm up and get ready for the spawn. Last year, the unweighted bulldawgs were the ticket, but I've seen some guys do pretty well pounding the shorelines with glidebaits, jerkbaits, and small bucktails. I don't know if everyone would agree with me here or not, but I've found that you really need to keep that lure size down especially for spring and early summer. A small bucktail around 6-7" does much better than a larger one, from what I've found, and the same goes for the cranks.

8. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Mike! What's up buddy! That Leesville horse you're holding in your pic is a great fish! My musky fishing partner's mother just bought a cottage on Chautauqua....You're more than welcome to come. I've seen some freight trains in that lake. 50+ inchers. And you can bet on me coming down to Leesville this year.

9. Sounds like I need a few more baits for spring like jerkbaits and a bulldawg. I have a few smaller bucktails, a depth raider, a super shad rap. Also bought a topraider and can't wait to throw that this summer.