close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

spring jitters

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Stripers4Life, Feb 8, 2009.

1. hey all, its getting to be that time of year that i start itching for spring. before we know it the ice will be gone and we can all pick up where we left off before the ice. being semi-new to the musky addiction I am still trying to piece together the behaviors of the beast. I had my first success last year from mid summer through fall, but wasn't able to get on anything in the spring. What i would like to know is at what water temp. they start to get active. Are they an early spawning fish like the pike? is this a fish that can be chased at ice out? and what traditional tactics have shown success in the early spring. any insight would be appreciated so thanks in advance.

2. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

traditional spawn is between 50-60 degrees. 58 is a magic no. for me both early and late in the year. small minnow baits are good,little spinnerbaits and gliders in shallow water.

3. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Springtime = slower presentations in 6 feet of water or less. Try finding bays and coves where the temps may be +1, +2 above that of the main lake. Finding schools of bait will pay off bigtime! Also, everyone usually downsizes, but I find that using traditional size baits slowed down a bit can be just as effective.