close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spring Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ronjw1, Feb 16, 2005.

1. I am from Lorain County, My friend and I are looking to do some early bass fishing in the middle of March. Can someone help me find a good place to go fishing some where in southern Ohio. We figure it will be a little warmer down there and we could caught some spawning fish.

Do you also know where I can find info on the net for good places to fish down south?
    Thanks
    Ron from Lorian County

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Ron welcome to the site! Not sure about Southern Ohio but the South-Eastern counties have 2 lakes that come to mind. Lake Snowden and
    Bur-Oak. The latter is in Morgan/Athens county and offers a fine campground with a lodge if you are looking for a place to stay. Lake Snowden has a fine campground as well with a couple of motels in nearby Athens if that is your fancy. You can also get into some mighty fine crappie fishing in Bur-Oak. If you decide on Lake Snowden we always did really well fishing the rip-rap along the dam.

3. First of all, welcome to the OGF site Ron! I can not give you details on a specific location for your bass outing but I am sure there are plenty of guys here that can help you out.

I am not sure if by this you are referring to further south than Ohio. If so again there are guys on here that make trips south for bassin'. What I suggest is that you post a question in the "Fishing Reports - Out of State". I am sure someone can point you to some nice places. I know a lot of guys go down to Dale Hollow in Tennessee for smallmouth.

I hope this helps.

Good luck fishing!

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Welcome to the site Ron!

I would tell you that if you're willing to travel to southern ohio in march, take a few extra hours and hit Cumberland (KY) or Dale Hollow (TN) for smallmouths. Water will be much warmer down there, and the bite is much better than Ohio that time of year. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong...I've really never fished southern Ohio...I head straight to TN without blinking ;)

5. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

wellcome.....AEP...is always a excelent spot.....a taste of info can be found here... www.ohiopowerbass.com ...plus many members frequent these lands during the season ask around if your interested

6. Wolf Run. Or, go with Brandon's advice & drive a lil further.

7. Thanks everyone for the replies. Where is Wolf Run? and AEP. Again thanks guys and good luck caughting those big bass.

8. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Wolf run is an awesome Bass fishery.
    You have a legitimate shot at some 8-10lb fish in the early spring.
    Right at iceout is the best time for big fish.
    It is located right off of I-77 between Cambridge and Marietta.

9. The Belle Valley Exit (Mile Marker 28) probably 1o mins tops off I-77 you can actually kill 2 birds with one stone as Ohio Power lands are about a 15 min jaunt from Wolf Run

10. Hey thanks guys for the info. I found the maps on Ohio power and man are there a lot of lakes down there. Do you know of good spot for us to try. I would hate to go some where that doesn't produce many fish. I guess that could be any time you fish though. Are most of the ponds reachable or do you have to hike a lot. I should mention that we don't have a boat just shore fishing
    If anyone knows what kind of lures are used down there, during that part of the year (early march). Thanks guys for any help that you can provide.
    Ron

11. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

there are a lot of easy to get to ponds off twp rd.944 between campground A&C....also to the west of st.rt. 284 off of twp.rd.944 the are a few oil rig roads that have many ponds off of it(if the gates are open, pending on weather and road conditions)you may need a 4x4 for some of them if it is wet...the pond at camp ground D,N&K have also produced some nice fish

12. Thanks for the reply. I was looking at going near one of the campground sites. So this will be helpful, again thanks.