close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spring break trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Bassman1978, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Planning on taking my 11 year old son fishing next week for spring break. Trying to decide between Dale Hollow, Cumberland or Kentucky lake? Don't really care what we catch as long as he is having a good time. Took him to St.Clair last year and had a blast. Any suggestions and what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Based on my experience, I would say Kentucky lake would be the easiest to catch fish. Dale hollow and Cumberland have good fishing, but require a bit more skill due to the depths that the fish can retreat to. I personally think that Cumberland is currently better than dale hollow. But Kentucky lake for both bass and crappie. The crappie should be shallow next week. A square billed crankbait is going to put some fish in the boat there, whereas typically the other two require deeper crankbaits and presentations.

BMustang likes this.

3. Bassnpro1

Regardless of where you pick to go, let me know and I can give some more detailed info regarding any of the lakes

4. I agree. I normally target crappie while at Ky Lake and sometimes he bass can be hard to avoid. We've had some years where we would leave some spots because the bass were just too think.

zaraspook likes this.
  5. Bassnpro1

Put a 2.3 inch big joshy on a light jig head and a ultralight setup with 4lb test and just reel it in slow. Everything will eat it including bluegills and tons of yellow bass and smaller black bass.

6. Kentucky Lake it is, will let you know how we do. Thanks for the opinions and advice.