Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Glove
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tendonitis in my shoulder; so says my chiropractor. I can't think of anything that may have brought it on, except for maybe repeated casting. But it doesn't hurt when I cast, only when I twist my arm certain ways like when I put it into my shirt sleeve. My typical wade trip is about an hour, three times a week, but every week or two I might be out for 2-3 hours. I use a 5'9" fast action spinning rod. This is my fifth year of this level of fishing, and the first occurrence of this problem. Would a longer, medium action rod reduce stress? A bigger reel diameter? Is it just old age (59)?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I don't feel like I have enough info to help. What do/did you do for a living? I only ask because it could be something unrelated to your current activities. If so then no need to buy different gear unless you want to.

Mr. A

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
although wading is you passion i see many people as they get older get into trolling (if they have a boat) or tightlining/bobber fishing live bait. that being said maybe there is just some standard arm/shoulder/back stretches you could do before wading that would help condition the muscle some before abusing it "repetitive casting"

·
The Glove
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a desk job; computer, typing, reading. I did spend many hours recently scraping and repainting the fascia boards on my house. But the pain starting before that, though it probably has not helped it. I do have some shoulder rehabilitation exercises that the chiropractor gave me about ten days ago. I should give them a try.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,196 Posts
I'm a lapswimmer and my shoulder was really bothering me tonight in the pool. I'm certain I strained it casting. I roll my ankle a lot as well while wading, which causes minor ankle sprains that affect my running. Between those three hobbies I am pretty banged up most of the time...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
you have the same symptoms that I have in my shoulder. Ligaments have over time shrunk. It took about three months of twice a week visits at a rehabilitation center. Then bout two months afterwards the pain diminished. I am sorry, I can not remember what the Dr. called it. I can guarantee you that Cortisone shots will not help. The Rehab certainly did but as I said earlier, still took time after rehab before I noticed change. Basically, in rehab, they stretch the ligaments again. Heres the best news though. If you have it in one shoulder, your almost guaranteed to get it in the other. <G>

Like you, only certain things caused pain. Intense pain too. Point where I had to stop doing what I was doing. Hate to say it, but, stretching the ligs again was no pleasant thing either.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I just had 2 injections in my right shoulder Monday after an MRI showed old tears and inflammation. Getting hit by a car didn't help and I worked in factories , lifting too much, working overtime, just shrugging the pain off. As long as I was in motion, I was fine. But fishing below Greenup dam on the Ohio River has taken it's toll too over 25 yrs. But I'm 55 and all that youthfulness is catching up quick. Hope you feel better soon. I'm not, yet.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I have a desk job; computer, typing, reading.
That might be the problem. I have a sore left shoulder and I'm pretty sure it's from leaning on my left elbow while mousing with my right arm. My attention goes to the computer and not my posture, and I let myself slouch.

I had the same thing happen to my knee, I was working on some documents and letting the outside of my knee press against the desk without paying attention to it. Then it hurt badly for about a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts