Spoons

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by CDL, Sep 6, 2008.

1. CDL

CDL

Hey everyone. I'm thinking about getting some new spoons and this will be the first time I've bought them for myself. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had any strong opinions, for or against, any particular brand. I'm going to be getting jigging and casting spoons.

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I don't use jigging spoons so I can't help you there.... but I do have a particular brand of casting spoon that I prefer. Acme Kastmaster Spoons have pretty sweet action and will catch several different species.

3. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

im not sure what your fishing for, but little cleo's have caught me more that their fair share of steelhead off the long wall in fairport harbor.

5. hopkins shorty...they rock!

6. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

For steelhead I like Luhr Jensen Super Duper's and Acme K.O. wobblers

7. I like the flutter drop of a Krocodile.

8. I've used most of the spoons mentioned and they can all produce at the right time. The most important thing to me when fishing spoons isn't so much the spoon itself. Make sure you have a quality swivel or the line twist will give you fits.

9. hey everyone,
    try using a picola's niti 1 spoon it is made in pa. they are get for steel head and trout. dont have an address but try a search should bring them up

10. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Good point on the swivels. A quality ball bearing barrel swivel tied a couple of feet or so above the spoon can make all the difference.

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

If you're looking for a lightweight spoon for panfish, give the microspoons a look. I'm having good success using the 1/32oz size for crappies right now. Big Daddy uses them on erie for perch fishing and he said they work pretty good there too. They're a sponsor on this site too. www.microspoons.com

12. Yes, the perch love them! So do the gills and crappies. Very versatile spoon. can be fished drifting, under a bobber, with a carolina rig, all sorts of ways.

They also have a small spoon called a "meat hook" that really does well on the gills, and even steelies through the ice.

I highly recommend them.