Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of salmon spoons come with single hook. The other day while trolling near beaver, I was running a spoon with just a single siwash hook and caught a walleye. Just curious as to how many of you prefer single vs treble hooks on spoon? Anyone notice a difference on hookups? What about for steelies? trebles or single?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
10-15 years ago when I ran flutter spoons I switched them all to single hooks and seemed to lose less fish. With the stinger spoons and others like them I've been using the factory treble hooks and have lost very few fish. I suppose the single hook would still be the best option but it doesn't seem like a major issue either way.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,947 Posts
everyone has an opinion on this, so here's mine. i have lost many walleye using the factory trebles on the michigan stinger scorpion spoons(small spoons w/#4 treble), the regular stingers i dont seem to have that problem. on the advise of many from this site i switched to the siwash hook for a few weeks last year and i seemed to get less hook-ups. i would see the rod bounce and when i got to it the fish was gone. i then started to use the gamakatsu EWG red trebles. i honestly feel that the catch rate went up. i was still losing a few fish, so right now on some of my scorpion spoons i have went to a size #2 gamakatsu round bend treble and size #2 mustad ultra point trebles and i have not lost a fish on them yet...i said yet because im still experimenting with it. that's MY opinion and im not trying to put anybodys method or opinion down. im just giving mine:D

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I switched over to the bigger Daiichi bleeding red #2 treble hooks on my stingers. Last week I was out with some guys from work. My buddy wanted to bring some of his own stingers. On that day we lost more fish than we caught. We only lost one eye off of the Daiichi hooks the rest were from the original stinger hooks. I also tried a new brand of snubbers that day. So I am not sure what contributed to the loss of fish. In my opinion I would bet it was the difference in hooks.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Toxic what snubbers were you using? I switched to Opti tackle snubbers, a few years ago and I never take them off a dipsey. They are solid rubber or what ever not a tubing with a length of braided line inside.

Scott

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My main problem with the stinger trebles is the breaking off of the hooks.
Though have used them with only 2 bends and once with only one. Have changed the trebles on most of my baits. Still use the 4's on the scorpians and the 2's on the stingers. Use mostly red Matzua, Eagle Claw,
Gamakatsu and Rapala hooks. Also use the black chrome.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I run the stingers and scorpions with factory treble hooks without a problem yet, but a foot note that out of 12 walleye 9 of them spit the spoons in the net makes for easy coolering.... I run 20lb. stren mono leaders never used a snubber...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I stay with the factory trebles on the stingers and we do not lose hardly any fish (much less than many others that make reports). I have been reading on this site and others for a long time about how many guys have switched them over. I am of the school of thought "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We boated over 150+ fish (including Sheaps and white bass) on my last 3 day trip and maybe had 4-5 fish come off.

I definately agree with Bob Why about the quality of the treble as they do break off. I have more than one stinger spoon with 1 or 2 bends that need replaced. A broken treble does not effect the action as we caught our last 4 keepers on a copper puke with 2 bends on the last trip out.

·
Tom B.
3,876 Posts
We also lose very few fish with the factory hooks on stingers and scorpions. Also have never broken a hook. Many of my spoons are 5 years old. I've also read the posts on switching to siwash hooks, but haven't saw a need for us.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Toxic what snubbers were you using? I switched to Opti tackle snubbers, a few years ago and I never take them off a dipsey. They are solid rubber or what ever not a tubing with a length of braided line inside.

Scott
Scott, I have the same ones in the 12" inch length.

Jess

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I know for a fact that salmonoids....once hooked with a siwash...rarely...and I do mean RARELY...come unbuttoned. I have several friends that love to fish long leadcore sets in the heat of the summer (13,15,18,21 colors)...and each of them swear by the single hooks vs. the trebles...as they claim that the single will not come out of the mouth of the fish, whereas the fish can chomp down on a treble and use the opposing points as leverage to loosen the grip of the one that is holding on for dear life.

Walleyes have a totally different mouth structure than does a salmonoid..and they are not nearly as strong. I've changed some of my spoons over to singles, but am not happy at all with their performance, as the singles I used were nearly twice as heavy as the original #4 trebles. I'd be interested to hear what brand hook (and size) you guys are using.

Singles will make all the difference in the world with steelies though....and I'm surprised more Erie guys haven't caught onto that fact as of yet...

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I get to go walleye fishing on Lake Erie every once in a while. There is no doubt in my mind that I have lost far less fish after hookup using the single Siwash hooks. Another advantage is that it takes about one millisecond to unhook a non target fish for a healthy release, instead of ripping half its head off trying to get an inhaled treble hook out of its gullet.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Another advantage is that it takes about one millisecond to unhook a non target fish for a healthy release, instead of ripping half its head off trying to get an inhaled treble hook out of its gullet.
This is a first...I never knew you cared so much for those sheepie's...! :D :p

·
Tom B.
3,876 Posts
I get to go walleye fishing on Lake Erie every once in a while.
That's a good one:D I'd like to know what we do differently that produces such different results. I can't even say we deeply hook a lot of white bass or sheepshead. Do you troll at high speeds a lot? Over 2.5 m.p.h.? The only negative we have is with steelhead. Almost all we hook into must be kept, they're a bloody mess.

·
Registered
367 Posts
it's funny, i just suggested in another post (trolling question by Reel) that he consider changing hooks.

i feel strongly that the hooks on the little stingers are inadequate. i like a slightly larger Gamakatsu treble and have used single hooks too with good results, but i still prefer the treble.

It's interesting how some days the fish seem to hook up differently. I don't know if it's a question of the angle they come at the bait or the currents in relation to the trolling direction or what, but there are definitely days when hooking can be an issue (some days less so). It's those days when i'll notice the difference in a better hook. Also, when i have someone on the boat that doesn't have a great feel for fighting a fish, i really want those better hooks. Hetfieldinn is absolutely right about single hooks being better for getting a sheepshead etc. off.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get to go walleye fishing on Lake Erie every once in a while. There is no doubt in my mind that I have lost far less fish after hookup using the single Siwash hooks. Another advantage is that it takes about one millisecond to unhook a non target fish for a healthy release, instead of ripping half its head off trying to get an inhaled treble hook out of its gullet.
steve,
so you replace the hooks on stinger spoons with single hooks? what size hooks?
curious to switch a few over and try it.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
steve,
so you replace the hooks on stinger spoons with single hooks? what size hooks?
curious to switch a few over and try it.
Yes. Every spoon gets the treble hook replaced with a Gamakatsu open end Siwash single hook. Size 1/0 for the Scorpions, and a 2/0 for the medium sized spoons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts