Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sparkeye
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on ebay today looking for stuff and seen some people selling trolling spoons but they took the treble hook off the spoon and kinda made a worm harness on the end of it that matched the spoon thought it looked cool might try it out i was wondering if anyone else has seen this or may have any experience doing it

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I call them spoonharnesses and they used to be available on walleye.com.
I made my own version and only caught trash fish. If youre looking for a
different angle try putting a bass rattle on the front of a worm harness.
Really did well for us the last timd out.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done very well at times on spoon-harnesses. They work best between 1.5-2.0 mph. A few weeks ago the wind was so strong that we were drifting around those speeds so I put one of them on. 5 minutes later I had an 8.6 lb, 29 in walleye. Switched the other rods over and caught 5 more in about an hour. Several other times we were struggling with regular harnesses and made the switch and did better. If you troll them too slow, you will catch junk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My fishing partner and use them about 90% of the time. They are a very effective way to catch fish. Sometimes we will put a small willow blade ahead of the spoon. Also helps to put beads between the two hooks. They can be effectively trolled at .9-1.4sog. Color and spoon type does make a difference. We the best spoon is the small stinger spoons.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I call them spoonharnesses and they used to be available on walleye.com.
I made my own version and only caught trash fish. If youre looking for a
different angle try putting a bass rattle on the front of a worm harness.
Really did well for us the last timd out.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Interesting idea here. I am convinced that the True Trip divers are as effective as they are because they have BB's rattling in the nose cone. When you see them swim they go side to side so it has to give off some sort of clatter.

·
Registered
661 Posts
There are quite a few versions out there to buy, or make your own. Blueranger and his fishing partner ( my old fishing partner and Blueranger says it's the best thing I ever did was to have to go back to work so he has my fishin partner) have been having great results with the version I have been making/using, Bluerangers partner stated "good luck with that" when I first started running this version a year or so ago, as he was around during the times I had tried many versions of spoons harnesses for the past 10 + yrs. But that day, the first 11 fish of the day and most every day after came on this version. And it has been like that since. We still catch fish on regular harnesses but these have been taking 80% of the fish for the most part. This version we run at .8 to 1.4 max with a crawler just like regular harnesses. A friend who passed away, this was his idea, I just modified it slightly as I do with most things. I have at least 60 of these made up. They store great, I use a 3/4 jig stuffed into the bottom of each noodle so the wind can't blow them out of the boat and they stand upright.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts