Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning to buy a high end spinning setup for smallmouth for both the river and Erie. Right now I'm looking at a choice of 4 rods. The reel I'm looking at getting is the Quantam Energy PTi. The question is what kind of rod would be reccomended. The rods I'm looking at right now (in order of preference) are:

1. G Loomis Bronzeback 7'4" Fast
2. St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass 6'8" X-Fast
3. E21 Carrot Stick Gold 7' Mod-Fast
4. St. Croix Mojo 6'8" X Fast

The power is medium on all these rods. I'm just looking for some insight from people that might own any of these as I haven't owned any of these brands besides St. Croix and that was a Triumph series. Right now what I use is a Cabela's MagTouch 6'9" Dropshot rod and I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'm wanting to focus more on fishing for smallmouth than anything else. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Wanye County Angler
81 Posts
e21 i have 5 of them 3 baitcaster and 2 spinning i wouldnt trade them in for the world

·
Multi Species Angler
6,186 Posts
I see Cabelas has that PTi reel on sale for $80 right now. However, that is the regular price of the Diawa Excelor. I would go with it over the Quantum, but that's just my opinion. As for rods, any in your list would do you well. In fact, if money is not a limiting factor then heck go with the Croix Legend Tournament rod. That would make a great combo.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd pick the LTB out of that lot as well. If you're set on the 6'8" then great. But if you haven't looked at the 6'9" ML, or 7' M, check those out before purchasing the 6'8", if you can. I love the 6'9" which is their DS rod, but felt it's a little light for Erie. It's an incredible rod though. I only suggest the 7' because I prefer a 7' for DS on Erie. I think it's technically labeled as their Tube rod, whereas the 6'8 is just labeled finesse, but the 7' makes a great DS rod for deep water with slightly heavier weights as well as a perfect rod for dragging tubes.

Daiwa's Tierra 2500 matches up perfectly with that series of rod as well. I don't know anything about the Quantum. I've never fished any of their reels as far as I can remember. But I love my Tierras, and the blue on blue with the Croix looks nice as well.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLSDAIWA-TDTS.html

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys for not getting back to this thread. I'm actually going with a custom St. Croix built by George Roth out of Idaho. It will actually run me less than the LTB to have it built and on a better blank (SCV...yes I know its VI in the butt section). I should get it by the middle of September and I'll definitely be posting on how it performs. I'm going to pair it with a Daiwa Luvias 2500.

·
Sean
604 Posts
Sounds like a solid set up. My sponsor made me a twin set of 7'3" spinning rods designed and balanced for drop shot. Went with a Croix blank and no cork foregrip concept and then he took it from there. So far I'm very pleased with their performance but yet to hang anything larger than two pounds on them. I can't wait to get up to mother Erie and really put them to the test! :D

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here's some pics of the rod. All it needs is finish and will be shipped on Thursday. My expectations were no where near this high!! As soon as I get it I'll post on the performance. George is great with communication so if anyone wants his contact information just pm me!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had the lucky chance to fish with one of the best drop shotter's of Erie, Bryan Coates, and I know another, Steve Clapper. Both use strictly G Loomis IMX rods, MH, fact action, 6'6" and the other uses the 902 which is 7'6" M cut down to 7'2" to make it a little stiffer, so basicially a MH. Both use Shimano Stratic 2500 reels.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
Dude - that is a SWEET stick. That will be so light as he as worked out the weight with the smaller grips. Congrats!

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That will be so light as he has worked out the weight with the smaller grips.

Yeah he calls it the "split rear grip extreme". Kinda makes for a minimalist looking rod, but super light and sensitive.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the rod in yesterday and had to work late!!! I put my reel on (decided to go with Pflueger Supreme 8030MGX) and threw a 1/4 oz weight on just to see how it cast in the back yard....perfection!! Balanced in the hand and the total weight with line/reel/rod is 10.7 oz. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out on the river this evening!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts