Ohio Game Fishing banner

Spinning Rod

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  OSU_Fisherman 
#1 ·
Alright guys, here's the deal. I sort of fell getting into the jon boat last weekend and broke the tip off of my Shakespeare graphite rod that I bought from Wal-Mart. I bought this rod at the beginning of last summer because it was cheap and looked like it would be cool. It was a 7' Medium Heavy rod. When I broke it, I only had a Shakespeare spincast rod with a 6' Medium Light rod.... I lost more fish than I care to repeat (note to self: Texas Rigged worms dont work well on light tackle like that).

I really enjoyed that rod, but I'm thinking of going to a 6'6" rod just to fit in the truck bed a little nicer. Also, I'm sort of thinking about going to a Heavy action rod. What are the pro's and con's of that?

I did really like that rod, but since somebody posted another $10 off from Dicks coupon, I'm thinking of trying something else. Maybe the St. Croix Triumph or something. I would like to make the trip out to buy something tomorrow night so that I can head out fishing first thing Friday night after class.

I'm almost exclusively a LM Bass fisherman, but look forward to trying Crappie and some other species this summer. Open to all suggestions.... but I would really like to stay below $50.

Thanks in Advance,
Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
For what it's worth, I have a 6' MH Berkley Lightning Rod that I love to use when fishing weightless worms. It definitely has the backbone to drive the hook home when a bass takes off with the worm! I use baitcasting gear when throwing spinnerbaits, crankbaits, topwaters, etc., but this rod would handle those types of lures as well if you don't use baitcasting gear.

#3 ·
if the rod will be a general purpose rod,i think you'd be better of going with medium action.
med. heavy at most.as for brand,there are many good ones out there in that price range.best thing is go check out several to get the feel of them and choose one that you feel comfortable with and will suit your purpose..

#4 ·
How much of the "tip" actually broke off? If it's only an inch, or so, you might want to consider simply having a new tip top put on. I had a rod that snapped about two inches off years ago. Put a new tip top on and it turned out to work great for me for years.

#5 ·
great tip from grumpy.if it's not splintered or too short,i'd try that.as he mentioned,it might even change the action for the better.i know of at least one pro that did that and it worked better than before.

#6 ·
How much of the "tip" actually broke off?
Thanks for bringing that up. I should have definitely specified that and explained it a little better. This thing is definitely beyond repair. It snapped only 4" ABOVE the point where the rod comes apart. I sure do appreciate the creative thinking though!

jmenchhofer said:
For what it's worth, I have a 6' MH Berkley Lightning Rod that I love to use when fishing weightless worms. It definitely has the backbone to drive the hook home when a bass takes off with the worm! I use baitcasting gear when throwing spinnerbaits, crankbaits, topwaters, etc., but this rod would handle those types of lures as well if you don't use baitcasting gear.
I own a Lightning Rod for my baitcaster too. I really do like those rods so I'm probably going to end up with one of those for the spinning set-up. I just got my baitcaster not too long ago,... so I'm not quite to the point of being confident enough to take it on the boat. Being in an apartment complex in Columbus doesn't quite lend me the yard space that I had back home. But, I'll be heading home for the summer in two weeks so then I'll be able to practice. Although, things really got easier when I spooled it with braid.

#7 ·
OOPS!!:D
i don't think they make tip guides that big,and it wouldn't cast too good either:D ;)

#9 ·
Did you think about just buying a replacement for the top section of your rod? I've replaced a few that i've broken. What's the make, model, and length of the rod? Check with the rod manufacturer.
That's a great idea. Unfortunately, I just checked Shakespear's website, and they do not have the series that I own on there. I'm figuring that since it was at Wal-mart, it was sort of a discontinued series buy-out deal. I could be wrong. Either way... tomorrow night means a brand new rod for me. haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.