Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new spinning reel and wanted to see what people have liked? I will mainly be pond fishing for bass and some fishing at places like Hoover and Alum. Mostly looking for a good mid price reel.

Right now I have an Ulgy Stick med action pole I will be using.

Thanks,

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Go to Dicks and buy a Berkley Cherrywood combo with an Abu Cardinal I think they are like 40 bucks. Best combo I have ever used. I have a couple rod and reels that were well over 100 dollars and like the 40 dollar one a lot more.

·
167 Posts
Shimano sadona good price and can't beat shimano

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
Shimano has always been good to me, it's all I buy anymore. I wont knock other brands but I have had bad experiences with Quantum spinning. I do have a Pflueger that is pretty smooth but I rarely ever use it as I grab my Shimano outfits when I go.
Good Luck

·
Clearfork Muskie Addict
421 Posts
Personally, I would keep the reel you have and replace the ugly stilk. Go to dicks or gander and get a st croix triumph. Only $60 I think, and far superior to the ugly stik.

I think the rod sensitivity is way more important than the reel.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
I have a penn sargus 3000, and it is great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
i second the Penn plug. i have owned one for over 10 years and it works great! i also picked up a mid range Okuma at Dicks a few years ago thats been a great reel also.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
All I use is spinning gear unless I'm flippin or pitchin. I have a couple that I like. I really like the Quantum Catylyst PT. I think thats still available. They may have updated that model though as its a few years old. I also have a Shimano Stradic that I absolutely love. Its by far my favorite reel that I have ever owned or used. Stay away from the budget model Quantums. The higher end ones are great and I really dont thing you can go wrong with Shimano.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I used to break reels like there was no tomorrow.... Judy loved me.....Then I switched to Shimano's. Now she probably feels like the maytag repair man.

I use Stradic's or Sustains.....no more broken bails.....ever.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just bite the bullet and get a Daiwa Tierra great reel for the money. you can pick up a new one off Ebay for about $70 ore $124 at Buckeye out doors

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Shimano Spirex 1000 you get an extra spool, spool one with 6 for sure an the other depends on where you fish an what you plan to fish for so either 4, or 8 pound test but do the 6 first and then decide. They take a beating and work for years. I prefer the rear drag easy to flip to lesser drag real quick and easy to put it right back where it was to set the hook. I wade fish with mine, perch on erie with em, Do the jig bite religiously with them an pull shadraps on Buckeye with em and throw jigs from shore in the spring and fall for the saugeyes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally, I would keep the reel you have and replace the ugly stilk. Go to dicks or gander and get a st croix triumph. Only $60 I think, and far superior to the ugly stik.

don't mean to get of coarse but have to side with warrior, yes the ugly stik will take a beating but if you fish alot of hours (20 or more a week) the croix will be easier on your arms and the sensitivity is real, real nice. have a couple triumphs and premiers, put extra $100 in your pocket and get the triumph. add the reel of choice to it. im a daiwa man. landed twice as many eyes and felt twice as many taps with the croix than i did before with a stick. i use a copolymer too, but that's a whole nother thread. Good Luck

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up getting a Shimano Sahara and the Triumph.

Happy with them so far haven't gotten to use them much yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
That's a huge +1 on walleye warriors advice. I know this will offend some of the ugly stick lovers, but the only reason I have purchased an ugly stick was that I wouldn't care if my kids trashed it or lost it. If you are dead set on a new reel then like other have stated-stick with a shimano withn your budget and stay clear of the cheaper quantum stuff. Definitely do not by that orange and silver quantum reel sold exclusively thru Dick's sporting goods. I have one and it is beyond crap. Biggest line twisting machine I've ever had. If I wanted to make twine it would be PERFECT!

I recently got my youngest an abu-garcia cardinal spinning reel-not the ul version but one step up in size. Think it was 40 at wallyworld and it has instant anti-reverse and a reasonably smoothe drag. It is excellent at resisting line twist as my youngest reels in slack line at the beginning of every cast! Good luck and get a new rod instead if your current rod is functional.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts