close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spinning reel suggestions for cat rod.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by doegirl, Apr 10, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a good quality reel for my :B kitty rod. It's a 9' Commodore surf rod from Abu Garcia. Its rated 10-25lb line. I'm looking for a strong, smooth drag system with lots of line capacity. Any help is appreciated. Also, any recommendations on line to use. I'll be mostly fishing Griggs, O'Shay, and Alum Creek Tailwaters. :G

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I would try an Okuma baitfeeder spinning reel..They have 3 models from 40 to 80 bucks..For line I would go with berkly biggame.

3. shad

shad abuwhupstik

I will agree with the bait feeder suggestion, however if the okuma is not your style try the shakespear models, thy are inexpensive and thy work well. however with any of the bait feeder lines the bait alarm is not to loud so you do have to be on your toes...

4. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Think about getting a baitcaster. Don't be intimidated by the thoughts of a backlash or birds nest or as I call em, the good ol professional overrun. Casting with the weight you use to catfish makes it easy. Plus you get the no brainer clickers and no worry of line twist. Plus it handles the heavier line with ease.

5. peon

peon account delete

i second that... baitcasters are the only way to go for cats... id hate to hook into a 60# or bigger cat on a spinning reel... or even a 40#er

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

though i like baitcasting gear,ain't nothin' wrong with spinnin' gear for cats.baitrunner reels work well.the line twist is a minor issue in my opinion.i use both,baitcasting and standard spinning tackle,though i'd like to get a couple baitrunners.(hate it when i gotta jump for the rod when the bail's closed,and the rod takes a dive):eek:
    my philosophy is "fish with whatever you're comfortable with".
    as for big fish,they're no match for a good spinning setup(rod,reel,line)when in the hands of someone who knows how to play them.my biggest flathead(50#) came on a 9 foot MH ugly stick w/shakespeare intrepid spinning reel,loaded with 20# iron silk :p :D

[​IMG]

7. Well I do have a baitcaster setup. Its 6'6" MH Gander Mountain Guide Series Rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 4600 reel. Line is 12 lb Iron silk. Probably does not qualify as a flathead rod, but I got it for channel kitties and bait fishing saugeye in high current.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

no problem with that setup for most channel cat fishing.
    if you want a bairunner for the surf rod,i think okuma,shakespeare or shimano would all be good choices.15-20# test is plenty for most situations.not sure how much line capacity you're talking,but any of those should hold at least 150 yards or more.you can more than double that with a super braid.

9. Get a Shimano Baitrunner. The 3500 would be good for that rod.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm not sure if you ever got one doegirl, but The new Red Rhino Bait Sensor reels are pretty decent. Everyone may laugh at me, but I have it on my #4 rod. I really got it for carpin & light catting and/or for my wife. I think catfish connection has them for $28. For that price you cant go wrong. I paid $35 for mine, I think it was $35.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Doegirl

The Okuma's with the water proof or the "EDS" drag system(s) are about the best drag systems that I've seen (I have not looked at the Penns).

Opinion: I prefer a non bait feeder due to the structure I fish for the Flatheads on the Ohio River. IF you lock up the reel I would strongly suggest heavy duty rod holders from the bank or from the boat!!!!!!!!

From the bank I use a 4 ft 1 inch rebar pounded down solid then my dual rod holder slips down over it. The photo shows an SB 90 Eagle Claw Spin Reel (Cheap) and my 10 ft surf Rods next to a 34 1/2# Flat.

Hope this helps.

<>< Baitkiller><>

Attached Files:

• rod.jpg
      rod.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  12. hhjhjhjhjhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    !#

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I just bought over the winter an Okuma reel with the baitrunner option.......it was only lik 36 bucks and was the mid sized model. I love it so far.....Not problems. It sure beat the price of the shimano reels. And it is good quality. It is up to you how much you spend.

14. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I don't know which Okuma it is but it is big as hell and works great. For the price you can't beat em. I like to use 25-30 Big game line on it.

15. hhjhjhjhjhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    !#

16. Okuma drags are by far the best for the $.

I love Shimano's, but Okuma's are generally less expensive and are of at least equal overall quality. Their drag systems are superior though.