Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
can any of you fellas suggest a decent spinning reel that doesnt cost an entire weeks pay?
I am looking for something that will hold about 280-320 yds of 10lb line and something that has a good drag that will hold up to the abuse of large hybrid bass. I bought a couple at Gander Mtn. and they didnt hold up over the short period that I fished last fall.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
.thanks..
......Willy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Can't go wrong with a ugly stik, shakespeare combo.
Personally I use Mitchell reel's on my Ugly Stiks, you can pick them both up at walmart or k-mart.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Abu Garcia Cardinal 104...I've had mine for 2 years now and I've only oiled it once. I've gotten new higher priced reels and I still go back to my Cardinal. For $40 you can't beat em!!

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
Might want to look into a saltwater surf reel. I bought a Daiwa Emcast Sport a few years back and I really enjoyed using it. With the line capacity that you are looking for it is a great reel for a good price. I used it fishing Meldahl and Greenup for wipers. It will definetely hold up on those big hybrids, and casts a country mile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any reason you need that much line? Fishing for catfish in a river is one thing, but bass and 200 yards is a little much. I would recommend a Shimano Sahara. One of the best reels I ever used. Drag is awesome and the feel of the reel is smooth.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
Get a Diawa Excelor and you won't be dissappointed. If you really feel you need all that line capacity then get the 4000 series. Though, the 3000 should be plenty big enough reel for the hybrid bass, and it's $70 @ Cabelas.

For cheap reels I like the Mitchells or the Abu's.

I will never, ever buy another Shimano spinning reel in my life.

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
I have two Shimano Sedona's, and my wife has one. I really like them. Line capacity may be a little less than what you're looking for (I have the 2500 model, you may need a 4000), but they are smooth reels, and I really like the instant anti-reverse. They run about $60.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
I will never, ever buy another Shimano spinning reel in my life.

I second that. I bought a Sahara off the recommendation of a BPS salesman and it was junk after my second trip out!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've never had a problem with shimano spinning reels. They are the only kind I use. Have Saharas and Symmetrys and never had a problem.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
For the guys that fish Shimano reels, have you actually fished with other brands? I have had some Quantums crap out on me. I also had some Penn reels that lasted me two years and then died. I thought they would do better for the money. However, I have taken a brand new Shimano out of the box and had the drag freeze up on me. My uncle is a charter boat captain and uses Shimano on all his boat rods. When I was first mating, I would always give the reels drag a good rip in the morning when setting up the rods to get that drag loose. Otherwise a line would bust every time. In my opinion there are much better reels out there. Even if you want to buy a cheap reel, get a Mitchell or an Abu Garcia Cardinal and you'll be much better off than with a Shimano. That's just my opinion based on experience with lots of different reel makes over the years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like Pfluger reels smooth reeling and a nice drag.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
gander mountains guide series reels and pflueger reels are the same thing, i highly suggest looking on ebay for whatever reel you decide to choose, i use the quantum energy reels and you can usually find a great deal on them on ebay (25 to 40% off of bass pro shops price for new in the box) you can save yourself alot of cash on just about any new reel.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
For the guys that fish Shimano reels, have you actually fished with other brands? I have had some Quantums crap out on me. I also had some Penn reels that lasted me two years and then died. I thought they would do better for the money. However, I have taken a brand new Shimano out of the box and had the drag freeze up on me. My uncle is a charter boat captain and uses Shimano on all his boat rods. When I was first mating, I would always give the reels drag a good rip in the morning when setting up the rods to get that drag loose. Otherwise a line would bust every time. In my opinion there are much better reels out there. Even if you want to buy a cheap reel, get a Mitchell or an Abu Garcia Cardinal and you'll be much better off than with a Shimano. That's just my opinion based on experience with lots of different reel makes over the years.
I have fished with Quantum, Guide Series, and Shakespeare never cared for any of them. Shakespeare and Quantum didn't last but one season and the Guide Series lasted 2 not to mention some of the newer Guide Series weigh a ton. The Shimanos have lasted me a little over three years and are still going strong. They get a full service once a year and they work good as new.

Now I've never tried Abu Garcia spinning reels but would love to try the new Abu Garcia Soron STX.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had a Shimano Spirex 4000 for several years and it's worked beautifully, however I prefer not having a trigger and having instant anti-reverse instead, so the Sahara is more attractive if I was in the market for a new reel. I also have (or rather my daughter has) an inexpensive Shiman FX4000 that works quite well. My main spinning reels, however, are Cardinal C4Rs that are probably close to 10 years old. Except for replacing one handle a few years back, they're good as new. I've also used Shakespeare, Daiwa, Quantam and Mitchell. The Mitchell 300 (my original reel, bought back in the '60s), still works, but just isn't as smooth as today's reels, and so is retired. The Shakespeares (grabbed on impulse at a Wal-Mart close-out sale, seem nice, buty I don't know how they would hold up under heavy use, especially compared to the Cardinals. The two Quantams I've tried I really dislike and the Daiwas I tried years ago have kept me from trying newer ones, although I know people that use them. The Cardinals I use are no longer made, but I would probably consider a new Cardinal model if I was in the market, based on my experience with the brand. Otherwise I'd probably go with Shimano.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts