close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spinning Reel Recommendations for Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by Buick Riviera, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Updated some gear this year as well. Mostly all Shimano spinning reels that have lasted for many years of hard use. Was very surprised to see the anti-reverse eliminated as well on most models.
    After much shopping,fondling of many reels and deliberation, ended up getting a couple Shimano Nasci's, three Pflueger President and one XT. All paired with the same rod.
    To date, though I do miss the anti-reverse, the Nasci's have proven to be extra smooth with an excellent drag. They are light for their size and operated well in 45-85 degree rainy/sunny weather. If they wear like my old Shimano's, they will have been an excellent $100 reel....time will tell
    All the Pflueger's have been flawless also in the same weather. IMO, the drags between the Nasci's and the Presidents is very compatible but I believe the overall smoothness in operation goes to the Nasci's by just a slight bit. Also think the Nasci is a bit lighter than the compatible President 6930 series. But the President still has the anti-reverse.
    That said, the President 6930 at $50, the XT at $80 and Nasci at $100, IMO, it's a really close call between the reels.
    Have been using the Nasci's throwing crank baits cause they are lighter and use the Presidents drop shotting,trolling etc.

Buick Riviera likes this.
  2. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Thanks for the review, fastwater. I just can't get my head around no anti-reverse. I wonder what the engineers were thinking? Maybe it was to eliminate another point of water intrusion. Who knows. But it doesn't make sense to me.

I've made a spreadsheet of the reels I'm looking at and using the Nasci as reference for weight. I also am trying to measure the length between the handle and front spool edge because feathering with my Shimano is second nature. I've measured (and used) the Presidents and the reach is longer by enough that feathering is more difficult that with the Shimano.

If anyone wants to adopt my scientific method, I use a Popsicle stick for a measure tool. :)

fastwater likes this.

3. jray

jray

I will toss out a vote from r the fuego just to complicate things lol. I am a die hard stradic guy but I fished a fuego and really liked it. A big thing for me is having the 6:1 gear ratio which correct me if I'm wrong I don't believe pflueger offers yet. I actually keep a president in the rod box for swimbaits and such where a slower gear ratio is a big deal but for me taking up line faster is a must on dropshot shakey head etc. I tried the fuego because it is six to one and I've heard good things about durability especially in cold weather.

4. My XT'a are a tick faster at 6:2:1 but I like the slow retrieve ratio of the original president when the water is cold.

fastwater likes this.
  5. Buick Riviera

Jray you are correct as to the Presidents. However the 30 and 35 size of the Supremes are 6.2:1. That is one of the reasons I am leaning towards the Supremes over the Presidents.

6. Buck, I have Pflueger Presidents I bass fish with all the time and they are nice and tight. I also have a Pflueger Trion on a St. Croix rod both are installed on 7ft fast action rods. They cast floro nicely and I just recently switched to braid with a floro lead thanks to the recommendation of Saugeye Tom. I have even been know to use these rods reels with a slip bobber for crappies when the big stuff wasn't biting.

Buick Riviera and fastwater like this.
  7. Buick Riviera

Guys, as you know, I have appreciated all your feedback. Today I stopped by Fishermans Central. They have the Pflueger Supreme (30 and 35) in stock as well as the Daiwa Fuego (2000 & 2500) in stock. I played with each of them and they each are $99.

The Supreme is very tight and very smooth. It feels balanced, looks great and of course has the instant anti-reverse.

The Daiwa Fuego is also very tight but is EXTREMELY and noticeably smoother than the Supreme. At least the counter models the difference was very evident. The
    Fuego looks good, has the anti-reverse and each model is about 1/2 ounce heavier than the Supremes. Not enough to really tell when they are in your hands.

The Supreme is a tick faster at 6.2:1 as compared to 6.0:1 for the Fuego. Again, not enough to be noticeable.

Comparable models are all about the same size, although I didn't have my Popsicle stick with me so I'm not sure on the feathering distance but the Fuego seem a tad shorter. ;)

All in all, I'm leaning toward the Fuego. Now I have to decide whether it would be the 2000 or 2500. I'm leaning a bit toward the 2000 but have to determine if there is any other difference than the spool size.

Next step: hope for a sale! :)

8. Dicks has been having on line only 'flash' sales often lately. One going on as we speak till 10 tonight. May find your reel at a saving there:
    image.jpeg

9. Buick Riviera

Thanks for the heads up fastwater. I checked and what I'm interested in is not on sale but the President can be had for $11 off reg price and there are 2 Shimano spinning reels and 1 Shimano baitcaster reel on sale.

10. I think they have been having that sale and changing merchandise every Thurs. Someone will have what you want on sale before long. Good luck!

11. Those are good reels for the money.

12. I would vote for the Daiwa. Love the Abs spool. Adds casting distance

13. The guy I fish with has been using an Okuma since they came out. It still does fine. I don't have one but I too am growing tired of the Shimano price point. I believe they price them that way because we buy them.....
    Great thread, fishing equipment reviews from fishermen for fishermen. What a concept.

14. Believe it or not. I still use my Mitchell 300 from my teen years over 30 years ago. Just saying

15. It comes down to your like, feel, comfort, and budget. Nice to see the discussions and see the different opinions.

16. Buick Riviera

Not one to dance on the head of a pin, but. . .further research into the Daiwa Fuego:

2000 - 4.4 lbs drag, 31.6 inches per turn
    2500 - 8.8 lbs of drag, 35.6 inches per turn

This has to be because the spool and drag washers are a bit bigger on the 2500 because the body seems to be the same size and both are 6.0:1. The 2500 weights 1.1 oz. more.

I found both on Ebay for $79.95 which is 20% off the usual list. Now I'm leaning toward the 2500 since I only catch GIANT fish. :p

fastwater likes this.
  17. Don't blame you. Unless looking for panfish outfits specific, I usually lean towards the 2500 series as well.
    But I won't lie and tell you it's cause I always catch giant fish. :rolleyes::D

18. Buick Riviera

"All fishermen are liars except you and me and I'm not to sure about you." LOL!

fastwater likes this.
  19. Lol!
    At least we are both sure of one of us. I sometimes question myself.:D
    Found a place named ABCD sales on Amazon selling that reel for $69.95(free shipping).
    Tried to copy and paste the add but couldn't.