close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spinning Reel Recommendations for Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by Buick Riviera, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

I've used Shimano for over 20 years but I'm moving on. At my price point of ~$100 Shimano just can't deliver the reliable smooth retrieve anymore and eliminating the anti-reverse was the last straw.

Here is what I'm considering and any real world experience you've had with any of these reels would be appreciated:

Okuma RTX
    Lew's Mach II
    Pflueger President XT
    Pflueger Supreme
    Daiwa Fuego

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I used to use Stradics but, like you, the price just got to be too much. I switched to Saharas and love them. They just aren't as easy to take apart and oil and grease as the Stradics.
    I get them at Kame's when on sale usually the end of year sale and stash them for later when needed. Usually around $60-$70. The normally retail for $80 now.

eliminating the anti-reverse was the last straw.

I haven't seen that. Did they eliminate that on the Saharas?

I don't like the Spirex reels.

All Eyes and Buick Riviera like this.

3. I don't think they eliminated the anti reverse that I have seen but the option of the bail returning to the casting spot and stopping. For lack of a better way of saying it. I was always a big fan of the quickfire system on Shimanos but that has sense gone by the wayside except for the Spirex.

sherman51 and Buick Riviera like this.
  4. I switched from Shimano to Pflueger Presidents (2 sizes-not XT) last season and love 'em. Very smooth and great value. Hopefully they will hold up in the long run.

TClark, Buzzking and Buick Riviera like this.
  5. Buick Riviera

Lewzer, I was a Symtre guy which they eliminated last year and replaced with the Ultegra. The anti-reverse was eliminated on the Ultegra and it appears from pictures that there is no switch on the bottom of the body of the new Saharas so I think it is gone on those new models also.

My last 2 Symtres developed a sticking point on the retrieve which I'm told is from a plastic bushing swelling when wet from rain or exposure to extreme heat from the sun (choose your explanation). Regardless, I'm going to try something else.

6. I picked up an Okuma RTX-30S a few years ago and it's my go to spinning reel for bass and crappie. Smooth, lightweight and durable. I've used mono, fluro and braided with it and never had a single issue with the reel. If I were in the market for another spinning reel, I'd definitely buy my Okuma again.

Gottagofishn and Buick Riviera like this.
  7. I've had Presidents for years and I'm very happy with them. I bought 2 of the Anniversary models (blk/red) and they are smooth. Very easy to take down, clean, & reassemble. I fish braid with a leader most all the time with a lighter drag setting on have caught some nice bass with it.

Buick Riviera likes this.
  8. I like the president XT reels. At 80 dollars they are pretty nice reels. Now I have broken the bail trips on a lot of president reels because they are just plastic and the little spring will wear out. It is an easy cheap fix but sucks if your on the water without spare parts. I always carry spare parts now. The bearings and gears do hold up well. I am hard on spinning reels and can kill anything. I have killed my share of shimano reels because the gears are garbage. I have killed my share of reels from every manufacturer for that matter. If you finesses fish a lot, and use spinning gear, you will go through a lot of reels. I am used to fishing deep ultra clear water and have to use spinning outfits most of the time. Constant hook sets will wear a reel out sooner than later.

Buick Riviera and Buzzking like this.
  9. Buick i too am tired of the junk shimano spinning reels. And i dont have an extra 250 laying around to step up. I started buying pfluger presidents and love em. Smooth drag no line twists smooth reel. Now baitcasters ill stick with my shimanos

Buick Riviera likes this.
  10. the syncopate has the quickfire system and they are a great cheap reel.

I love my shimano Sedona 4000 for bass fishing. I just bought it and it took awhile to get use to having to line up the bail to make a cast but once I got use to it it was game on.
    sherman

buckeyehippie and Buick Riviera like this.
  11. dcool

dcool

I too done away with shimano and went with Pflueger Supreme XT, should have switched a long time ago. The supreme xt is as smooth a reel as any i have ever used, and light weight.

12. Buick Riviera

Thanks guys and keep it coming.

My wife has used the Presidents for 4 or 5 years now without a problem and she really likes them. In fact, there is a new one around here because we often buy another one "just in case" each spring during the Bass Pro Classic Spring sale.

I'm looking at the XT or Supreme only for the lighter weight and (maybe) better drag systems. However, the Okuma RTX wins the weight wars hands down but I've never used Okuma products so I appreciate the feed back Zach.

The Diawa seems to get good reviews but is heavy.

sherman51 likes this.
  13. When my Shimano Symetre and Sahara are right they are incredibly smooth but the problem is if water is introduced its bad news. Just a little clean out and lube gets them right again but I shouldn't have to do that every single time I fish in the rain! My Pfluegers are awesome. I have beaten the hell out of a President over the last 4 years w/o problem and am in 2nd season with a Supreme XT and it is my favorite reel so gets the most use. When it comes time to finally replace my Shimanos I will be purchasing Pfluegers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

I honestly agree with most said....I have 4 presidents and love em....no issues....just bought a Supreme for the new drop shot set up being the only one in that price range with the magnesium body and its nice....smooth as can be. I will eventually switch my presidents over to the XT's or supreme's next. Definitely worth the money at the $100 price point. Dang near purchase two of them if you catch em on sale. I found three presidents at wal mart marked down to $29.99. Couldnt believe it. Bought everyone they had and it was only three :( I stick with Abu's for bait casters but spinning you cant beat plfueger right now.

15. Get a president. Hands down best reel for the money. I have several without issues. Going on over 5 yrs.

fastwater likes this.
  16. The Pfluegers are a great reel, have two of them and they are both very smooth. I also have the Lews hero reel and for how cheap they are I am pleasantly surprised with the smoothness and casting of it also, so I can only imagine what the more expensive models of the Lews reels are like.

17. Buick Riviera

I really appreciate the feedback. I've narrowed it down to either the Pflueger Supreme or the Okuma RTX. I've put my hands on a Supreme but not the RTX. Does anyone know a brick and mortar store that handles the Okuma RTX? Thanks.

18. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Shimano Nasci hits your price point and feel nice. I have Lew's casting reels and love them. Incredible performance for the money and good product support. Got my dad the Speed Spin and he seems to like it but I have no personal experience with Lew's spinning gear

fastwater likes this.
  19. Try Erie outfitters for okumas they are in Sheffield lake by the Avon lake power plant boat ramp. Also the 70 range Lews spinning reels are way smoother than okumas in my opinion. Good luck with your decision.