close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spinning Reel Problems

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by fishing_marshall, May 26, 2005.

1. I just started using spinning reels this year. I have 2 and like them alot. Theres only one problem and it happpens on both of them , a quantum and a bass pro.
    Sometimes the line get wrapped around the front where the drag is and then i pull line out to get it undone and then get a huge knot. I have been going through a lot of line. Any suggestions?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds like you have the spools overfilled.leave at least 1/8 inch or so from the lip of the spool.if not,it will cause the line to do just what you described.the line could also be part of the problem,if you're using higher test than reccomended for the reel.

3. bird

bird

line twist, check to see if u are putting the line on the spool correctly.

4. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

with spinning reels. use high quality smooth casting line. stay away from the stiffer, abrasion resistant type line. It happens to all of us from time to time.

5. I have Trilene XL 6lb on my ultralight and 10lb Stren on the other one.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

line size is good.if the spool's not overfilled,you've twist in it,probably from spooling it backwards.i've used the same line for years,with little trouble.if you have a boat,next time out,open the bail,let the line out(with nothing attached)behind the boat to empty the spool,by dragging in the water.reel it back on while holding it between your fingers.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

also try closeing the bail by hand, this will help alot, dont turn the reel handle to close it a lot of line twist happen like this.

8. One thing that I have noticed at times and it is mostly when my boys use the reels is that it happens more when using light jigs or baits or fishing slowly. What happens at times is that when you close the bail and begin reeling there is no tension on the line coming from the spool to the bail roller. If there is no tension then the line can track itself in a manner that is not necessarily consistent with the design of the spool. If it happens to create slack that sticks up over the top of the spool then it can wrap itself on the top of your spool like you described. To eliminate this try to pick up on the rod tip once the bail is closed to ensure that there is line tension (does not have to be much at all) against the bail roller. Once that tension is there the line can not find its way to the top of the spool.

I think Flathunter has a good point about closing the bail by hand. Even if that is not the cause of your line problems it will help eliminate bail spring failure which is a common problem on many spinning reels.

9. Definately check the amount of line first because it's so easy to overspool and then line is loose and you have problems with line coming off. THe light lures will also make a different because of no tension keeping the line tight on the reel. Spinning reels are a nice all around reel for bass and bluegill fishing. Just pay attention to the hints given on this site!

10. Closing the bail by hand will solve most of your problems. Even if it's overfilled a little, this will allow you to fix that loop before you get it wrapped under all the line you've reeled in.

11. Also,when You Spool The Line Put The Spool In A Bowl Of Water..this Will Take The Static Out Of The Line.i Use Reel Magic Also It Helps A Great Deal..

12. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I have had the same problem for years. I have been told several things. The postings so far are very good. Others that I have heard are:

*when taking new line off of the spool reel in some of the line, open the bail and see if it springs off easily. Then flip the spool over and reel again. Again check to see how easily it springs off. Reel in the new line with the spool laying on the side that produced less spring.

*after reeling and new line is on your reel, put a rubber band around the spool and soak it in the hot tap water to help change the memory

I have only had problems with new line myself. Can anybody suggest some good line to use in the 6-8 lb test range? Please be specific. thanks.

13. I use trilene XL. I have for years and it works fine. You will have this problem from time to time no matter who you are. Simple way to see if you spooled the line the wrong way is to open the bail and if lines looks like it is springing off it was spooled wrong. Some will fall off but it should just be a little. Here is a way to keep from getting the nots that you were talking about. Lossen you drag and pull the line off with the bail closed. Simaliar to a fish running with it. This will allow the line to come off evenly with out the loose stuff wrapping aruond the other line. Once the loose line is out tighten the drag and reel the line back on while holding it to keep tension.

14. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I agree with closing the bail by hand. I also think it's time for you to get some better line. I really DISLIKE Trilene XL and refuse to use it anymore. I found it gave me problems with coiling/twisting, knot strength and ease of breaking in un-stressed situations. Maybe I had a bad batch, but I will not use it again. I will use P-line flouroclear or CX in 6-10lb range for my spinning gear. You will like it, I promise.

If you get a loop in your line try loosening the drag and giving a steady pull until it comes out. It happens alot when I use lures that twist. Every cast or every other cast you should let the lure spin and then give it a cast. Otherwise it twists right up your line and into your reel causing all kinds of problems. This is mostly using inline spinners or small spinnerbaits.,

15. I am thinking about giving the P-Line a try one of these days but I can not say anything bad about the Trilene XL. I feel that for monos it has always been very good stuff.

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

crank,i switched to p-line a few years ago.i like it too.used the xl for years,and have it on one reel now,because it was spooled free when i bight it.i do like ,but i think the p-line is stronger,with less memory.
    i have 15# test on a baitcaster,and after 3 years,it's still going strong :)

17. that's what i do and seems to be the ticket. i fill up some tupperware with really hot water and let them soak overnight. i have berkley xl on most of my spinning reels. 8-12#...just depends on the reel. i have to say that the shimano spirex 4000rd is my favorite spinning reel:)

18. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Even if ya do get the line twist/loop thing sticking up there is an easy way to get rid of it. This is easier with rear drag but pop the spool off and pull the line off from the bottom off the spool instead of the front. It will only take a few feet this way and comes right out. (except that it gets caught on the line holder/keeper sometimes) I figured this out some while back and it is amazing how much easier it works this backwards.

I get the loops too at times when using light tackle or worms when they have no tension against the spool. I try to spool the reel with the line going on the same direction it is comming off of the line spool.

bill

19. I switched to Tec Tan line (Cabelas) a few years back, 8.8# test, German line so they rate it a little differently. Fish for bass and steelhead with it. Using Daiwa and Shimano spinning reels. Very little memory. This line is true to the pound test on the package.

20. Thanks for all the info , i'm gonna try some of those tips.