close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spinning line

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by getinjiggy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ok Im trying to get the best line for saugeyes. Ive tried a bunch of lines now, and I think my problem is in my knots. I love the bass pro Exel line but what would you guys try? I will not use braided lines.Trilyne has been garbage, as the spiderwire mono.Help a brother out here!!! Glenn

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have used the bass pro excell for years, if you like it stay with it.

3. You seem dead set against Braided. Why? The sensitivity of braided allows for detection of those very light bites when vertical jigging or pump casting Vibee's and spoon's.
    I have used Fireline, 10# test for the last 4 years and feel it is extreemly good for saugeye. I use a 24/36" fluro leader and have had no problems.
    Best of luck with whatever line you choose. :)

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Glenn,

If you are set on staying with Mono the Bass Pro Excel is really good line. I use it on all of my mono setups, especially my baitcaster setups and trolling reels.

I would, as Ron suggests, at least try some Fireline in 4/10. I have been using it for a long time and is my primary line on the majority of my spinning reels for all of the reasons that Ron mentions and even some he didn't mention.

Kim

5. Im only against the braided line due to the fact of alot of snags. That line it he%$ on your teeth and fingers! I guess I should stick with my excel. I just had to try a couple of others this season and Im not impressed with any others. Thanks for the help guys, I'll just have to get another spool of Excel. Glenn

6. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

I have always used Trilene, what are the problems you are having with it?

7. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I love that bass pro. excel. Used trylene xt once and it snapped all the time. Xl trilene was ok but still like excel best. I wouldn't use the braids where you fish either Glenn! Then again I've seen you fish, as many times as you snag the bottom in the spillways and creeks I'd use all steel line. :D

bill

8. floruoclear is what i started using a year/two ago, it works fine in the rivers, not sure about the lakes..

J

9. Bill as you know, my fish hang non or near the bottom. And for the trylene. It doesnt like my knots I put on my leadheads. Now I hate taking 15 min to tie a couple pieces of lead on there. I'll just fish excel and be happy. Glenn

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I use Trilene and have for years. I use it on everything I have. Tying jigs isn't a problem for me. Try using a different knot. I use mostly trilene big game for everything from jigging to trolling. Excell is also a good choice as is P-line. I guess it's what ever make you happy.