Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught 90 percent of the bass I've caught using rubber worms and senko type baits. Also have caught some on jitterbug and floating rapalas at night. But would like to give spinnerbaits a good try. What is the best way to tie them on? Is line twist a problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Akron
2,435 Posts
With an inline spinnerbait line twist can be a problem and you should use a swivel. The safety pin type spinnerbait should have no line twist and you tie your line directly to the R bend. Some spinnerbaits have a twisted eye that is suitable for use with a line snap and usually used with a steel leader for pike and musky. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
A good starting place is a tandem spinner, with a colorado/willow.
I like gold blades over silver, especially in ponds and small lakes where bluegills are on the menu. Use translucent and natural colored skirts in clear water and brighter chartruse or whites in dingy water. 8-12lb test is fine. Its usually a reaction bite so the fish arent really line shy. In cold water, fish them slow and steady near the bottom, with occasional slight hiccups in the retreive to trigger followers. warm water sometimes you need to fish them fast, or just under the surface to get some big time bone jarring strikes.

Use heavier weights if you need to fish fast or deep, and lighter weights if you need to fish slow or shallow.

Colorado blades give you more thump, and are better for slow presentations and dark or murky conditions, Willows are faster with less resistance, more flash and speed. Indiana blades are a nice cross between the two.

small spinnerbaits catch alot of fish, medium spinnerbaits catch big fish.

I once fished through a small stained bay in the spring with worms and caught about 10 bass between 8-13 inches. I then switched to a spinnerbait, and covered the exact same water, I caught 4 between 3.5-5 lbs. That convinced me that there are times when spinnerbaits are just flat out magical.

If I had to have just 3 spinnerbaits I would have

A small white one with silver willow blades
A medium with a translucent skirt with shades of chartruse and green, with dual gold indiana blades.
A medium sized with gold and silver tandem willow colorado, with a bluegill looking skirt.

Man I love to rant :) sorry if anyone dissagrees with this info, this is just how I do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts