Spine weight question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by BigSteve, May 13, 2008.

1. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

About to buy new arrows and I could shoot either a 400 or 340 series arrow as my draw weight is right "between". My question is given the choice is it better to be over or under spined as far as accuracy is concerned? I get enough penetration so I'm not worried about it from the weight standpoint. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

If you could go either way. go with the smaller, you will get more speed and more energy transfer into the shaft. Just my opinion.

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

If you have to choose one or the other then I would go with the heavier one. I would rather be over-spined as there would be slightly less flex in the arrow as it is shot which could ultimately have a slight positive affect on accuracy.

CG

4. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

Thanks for the great opinions guys and thanks for the article billk. The article is very infomative and a big help.

5. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

You didn't say if these are hunting arrows or 3-D arrows. For hunting, I'd get the 340's, more weight = more KE. For 3-D go with the 400's for more speed in case your yardage estimations are a little off.;) Your accuracy will be better with a slightly heavy spine. Play around with different tip weight too.:)

6. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

You bet ya, I went with the 340's in the new Easton n-fused axis arrows. Of course my main need is for hunting with a little 3-d shooting. I'm really impressed with the new Eastons, they fly really nice and like I said in the other thread my groups have tightened up even a little more. Definently a good product, but else would you expect from Easton?

7. I would much, much rather be overspined. Not just from an accuracy perspective, but from a safety standpoint as well. A field point might hide the fact that your arrows are little weak spined, but often broadheads (especially fixed blades) won't tolerate it.

8. DrZ

DrZ

If you are using a release aid you have to go really stiff before it effects your accuracy. If you go too weak you will have accuracy issues.

This is not the case if you are shooting fingers.