close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

spincast reels

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by WLB, Sep 10, 2004.

1. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Seems as though a big sheep turned my wifes zebco 33 into a piece of junk, So I bought her a Bass Pro magna
    m-30 spincast. The reel cast good, it's real smooth winding for a spincast, but when you cast it you had to mess around clicking the button to get the reel handle to turn(engage reel), this happened quite often, not good trying to fish a spinnerbait. It was the medium size of three and I thought it was kinda big compared to the 33 so I sent it back today.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried Abu Garcia Abumatic reels and what your opinions are. Thanks

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i cant say that i have heard anything good about he abu's. if you lookin for recommendations i would look at the new zebco 33, platinums (sp?) or one of the omegas zebco makes. the 33 is priced around 24 bucks and is a good reel but i think the retrieve might be a little slow for a spinnerbait. it has dual oversized pickups and antireverse, 2bb i think. however the omega's i think have a little faster retrieve and are smoother (3bb) and come with a quick change spool but there priced around 49 bucks.... got one of the 33 plats for my wife this spring and it worked great on crankin up the walleyes... oh, and the drag is alot smoother on the new ones. if you want the full low down on the omegas just ask JimG about them, he told me that there bulletproof and Jim proof... rocks + omega + jim = zebco sandwich ... there the timex of fishing reels.... takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

sowbelly

3. WLB

Thanks sowbelly101
    That was a 33 platinum, She has caught alot of catfish, bass and some gaint sheeps, she got one earlier this year that went 10lbs and the one that turned the 33 into a coffee grinder was bigger than that one :D I can't complain about the 33 but She's just starting to throw a spinnerbait and I was looking for something a little faster.
    I might check out one of those omega's, I like the idea of the quick change spool. I was watching a fishing show earlier this year and one of the pro's was pushing a new "better than ever" spincast real, but I can't remember who it was made by? Did anyone else see them? I think it was Roland Martin pushing them, but not sure?

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Ever thought of teaching her to use a spinning reel, or even a baitcaster?

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Ditto on flathunter's suggestion. Only I'd stick with a spinning reel. something easy to use, like a low end Shimano, with 10# test on it. Maybe a 3000 series model. I don't like the Quick trigger models & prefer an infinite anti-reverse reel. Alot of novices like the ones with the Quick Fire or whatever they call it. Eaiser to just go ahead & learn without it. Then she'd be casting like a pro real quick too. Once a person learns to cast accurately & with some distance, their catch rate increases as they are able to cover much more water.
    Pro's would never use one, they have to sell what their sponsor's want them too.

6. WLB

Believe me I've tried to get her to use a spinning reel, I have a pile of them, I'm having a hard time convincing her that it's better to fish from the front of the boat than the back, I hate going back after those crankbaits a mile behind the boat :D "Honey, I'm out of line and I'm in a snag back there" :D But really, she does good for a converted walleye fisherperson :) She didn't have to cast that erie dearie to precisely :D I'm just glad she likes it and goes with me :)