Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 year old nephew who wants to start fishing for shovelhead (caught his first the other night on my rod)…. he cant handle a baitcaster and doesn't like spinning reels... 40 years ago I think zebco made a heavy duty reel called the hoss. does anyone know of a heavy duty spincast reel that might work for shovelhead.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snakecharmer thanks for your offer... but it looks like we are about as far apart as 2 people can be and both be in ohio... I live near Georgetown ohio about 10 miles north of the ohio river and about 50 miles east of Cincinnati.... have you caught a big catfish on that reel? did it hold up ok?

again thanks your generous offer

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Snakecharmer thanks for your offer... but it looks like we are about as far apart as 2 people can be and both be in ohio... I live near Georgetown ohio about 10 miles north of the ohio river and about 50 miles east of Cincinnati.... have you caught a big catfish on that reel? did it hold up ok?

again thanks your generous offer
Not used (yet)... But its a hefty combo. 14# Cajun on a CAL1102 Uglystick. It a pretty good size spincast reel.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Maybe look at a Zebco 33MAX....Looks like that might be in your wheelhouse.
From Bass Pro Website:
Everybody knows and loves the classic Zebco® 33®. It's one of the legendary reels of our time. Now, meet the Zebco 33 MAX Spincast Reel, the souped-up version of the original, designed especially for chasing big fish in both fresh- and saltwater. Just the fact that it comes pre-spooled with 20-lb. Cajun Line® should tell you what this reel is meant to handle. With heavy-duty construction all around, the Zebco 33 MAX has everything you need to prevail against big cats, seatrout, even baby tarpon. From its brushed stainless steel covers and lightweight graphite frame, to its rugged ball-bearing drive, to its MicroFine™ dial-adjustable drag system, the 33 MAX is built to last and outlast. Equipped with dual ceramic pickup pins, built-in Bite Alert™, and Zebco's QuickSet™ multi-stop anti-reverse. Changeable left/right retrieve.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Did you find an outfit yet?
I have a heavy duty spincast outfit I bought for my son several years ago designed with catfish in mind. Can't remember the name of it, but if you still need something I can look for it and see what it is. I live in West Union, OH.

Edited to add:
It's a Zebco Hawg Seeker reel. The electronic bite alarm doesn't work but the reel still works good. If you need a rod I'm sure I can find one to put it on.
He's welcome to it if he wants it.
Just PM me.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
just go on eBay and buy the zebco 888 reel and your set. I used them for fall salmon fishing in Michigan. they come spooled with 25# line usually. but they are made for bigger fish.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
we were landing 20# to 25# salmon with the 888. we tried the 33 but it just got spooled. went to the 888 and no problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks every for the feedback and offers I have a couple of extra catfish poles I can give my nephew, I was just wanting to get him a decent easy to use reel til he can manage a baitcaster in a couple of years.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
thanks every for the feedback and offers I have a couple of extra catfish poles I can give my nephew, I was just wanting to get him a decent easy to use reel til he can manage a baitcaster in a couple of years.
you can get the 888 new on eBay for around 35.00. but I'd check out amazon too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts