close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spillway Fishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TheSportsGuyDM, Jan 30, 2005.

1. TheSportsGuyDM

TheSportsGuyDM Dallas Moyer

New to the area and had some success in late summer and fall fishing. Now, I am looking into other fishing. Being from Columbus and have the knowledge of the spillway fishing there, was wondering where one can find good spillway fishing around the Akron/Canton area. Any other tips on good winter fishing in the area will help too.

2. Dingo

Dingo

Not really many good spillway opportunities directly in that area. Portage lake spillways are very small and/or have limited access. Berlin has a good spillway area, but much of the productive area is private (at least the last time I was there). West branch and milton have decent spillways. Mosquito has a small spillway area. To the south, beach city has a big spillway but provides limited results (at least for me). Atwood also has a small spillway, but I tend to have better results downstream from the spillway. To the west, you can hit the pleasant hill or charles mill spillways. You won't find any of the big spillway structures like deer creek up this way.

3. TheSportsGuyDM

How about saugeye fishing from shore? I do not have access to a boat. The one good thing about living in Columbus was that there were multiple saugeye targeted areas within 1 hour's drive (Alum, Deer Creek, Buckeye, Hoover, Griggs, etc.). Just looking for some action to keep me held over till spring.

4. Dingo

Dingo

I've caught some saugeye/walleye from shore in the portage lakes, especially nimisila -- which should be pretty close to home. Some walleye available wading from shore during the spring in Mosquito as well. With all of the hog walleye available from the Erie piers in the spring and fall(typically 6 - 10+ lbs), I don't have a need for the saugeyes.

5. TheSportsGuyDM

Very true. What does the winter fishing season look for other species?

6. You can catch some saugeye out of the Tuscarawas River if the water ever goes down.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Sports

The Lake Milton Spillway is good for Musky, Walleye and White Bass.

That may be a little outta out your way though.

<>< Baitkiller ><>

8. Don't forget the pike at The East Branch Spillway ;)