close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spillway Eyes

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by oufisherman, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I have a question for you southwest guys. I was wondering if Paint Creek spillway would be a decent place to hit for saugeyes yet? I have read several posts regarding this as a hit or miss area.
    I am on Christmas Break from OU and looking to get out and land some eyes for the skillet in the next few weeks before classes start up.
    Also are there any other recommendations for spillways to hit for saugeye in southern Ohio. I'm a pond fisherman so spillways are relitively new for me. THanks in advance for any info!

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I caught some there about a couple weeks ago but all of them were small like 5-6inchers. I was fishing on the other side from where you walk in at in the little backwater area there using minnows and chartruse/pink twistertails.
    Hope this helps, good luck

3. catking

catking Banned

Don't forget below Cowan Lake and also Cowan lake itself, by the dam. The saugeye are about 20" or so now........ Late in the evening and night is the best time at the dam...... THE CATKING !!!

4. Thanks for the info. Catking, what would be the choice of lures for fishing for some eyes on the dam of Cowen Lake? I'm assuming maybe some Husky Jerks, jigheads and twisters, and maybe some minnows on a bottom rig. Not sure what to use, pretty much stick with jigheads and twisters when I go.
    Is it better to fish along the whole dam looking for eyes or concentrate on a general area? Thanks again!

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Catking, are talking about below the dam at cowan or above the dam.