close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spill/Fish Kill

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Breaking news... We had some calls of a large fish kill caused by some sort of spill into Portage Creek, which flows into Ladue Reservior... At least that's what we here at WKYC were told. Division of Wildlife and EPA are on the way to investigate.

Caller said there were dead fish for a mile stretch along the shore... Not sure if it was Ladue or the creek...

Our crews are on the way and as more details become available, I'll update the situation...

2. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

Thanks for the tip, Carl. Let's hope the spill is very isolated and contained...

3. The location is Black Brook Creek.....

And, according to wildlife officials on the scene, it's AT LEAST 3000 dead fish that run a 2 mile piece of shoreline...

Someone in the area had a spill. It's under investigation as to whether it was accidental or illegal dumping...

4. Dead fish are in the creek, no effect on the lake at this point...

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Beautifull..............no comment...

6. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

That's a shame, hopefully they get in under control before it gets any worse. And if it was illegal dumping they better throw the book at the individuals who did it!

7. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Just saw the story on the news, seems like all they showed floating were Carp and chubs, mabey a few Catfish too.

8. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

just saw it too, they did not verify yet if it is affecting the reserevoir...god i hope not.

9. now...I have an excuse~!:p

Mid summer- drought conditions-low water levels...I'm not very concerned, had it been a semi-confirmed pollutive issue I'd be worried. I'm sure WKYC wouldve dug 'em up had there been any direction towards that.

Most likely Mother naturally removing the bottom dwellers.

Anyone see/smell Central Basin shoreline around this time last year?- PU!

Fingers crossed- could be a tough final qualifier!!!:)

nip

10. The Division of Wildlife said they thought it was contained to the creek.. The "tip" we had called into us said it was an area farmer dumping something... but who knows...

The EPA was there and did take samples, but will take some time for results of tests...

And, just to let you know, I think the person they sent to shoot the damage only shot from one spot, as access was restricted... So even though the fish that were shown were "rough" fish, there may be greater impacts elsewhere in the creek... I hope not though....

11. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

thanks for all the info carl..this is very disturbing to say the least.

12. culprit

culprit Culprit

Fished LaDue today between Rt.422 & Rt.44. I didn't see any evidence of this in any of the areas I was in so hopefully it was contained to Black Brook Creek.

13. mishmosh

mishmosh borderline newb

14. Maybe it will be some sort of contamination that will only kill white perch! This would be great news. Big Daddy thanks for the reports as I was told about this over the weekend and couldnt wait to see if there were any info on here. Also Big Daddy I really enjoy the fishing reports WKYC is doing. It is a great idea. I am guessing you had something to do with these.

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

They said the farmer washed his farm equipment of excess herbicide and fertilizer about 1 month ago in the driveway. The recent heavy rains late last week washed it into a ditch which went to the small feeder stream.

16. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

If I remember right, B4 LaDue was there, Black Brook Creek flowed into Bridge Creek. There's a retention dam down at the end of that canal-ish stretch
    now, so I don't believe the water flows into LaDue.

17. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

This reminds me of how years ago my team used to respond to calls where people would dump old fuel down there drains in the basement or garage then wonder why there was a problem or explosions !!!:rolleyes:

18. there is no way that the farmer cleaning a tractor killed all those fish. the herbicide would have been diluted by the water from washing the tractor and from the stream. It would take alot more the some left ove resadue to kill that many fish . Do they think we are this uneducated

19. I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE IS WOULD TAKE ALOT MORE THAN THAT TO MAKE IT 3 MILES OR SO DOWN A CREEK AND KILL FISH WHAT ABOUT ALL THE FIELDS LINED UP ON ALL THE STREAMS THEY ALL GET SPRAYED WITH HERBICIDES EVERY YEAR ALL OVER THE STATE AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM I DON'T BUY SOME FARMER HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT 'IMO'
    TIGHTLINES MIKE