Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations to control spiders outside around my deck/patio. We have an awful lot of them around! I read some good reviews for Miss Muffets. Anybody ever use this product? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Never used Miss Muffetts but I've had luck with the home defense spray from home depot...just do a solid perimeter around everything...entryways, foundation of house, base of deck, porch, garage, basement windows, stuff like that...I use it a few times a summer...have even sprayed the basement too and inside the house...seems to work...bugs and spiders just turn up dead or they don't appear at all.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
+1 on the bird feeders...

Home Defense if used regularly seems to do a nice job. Maybe because it helps eliminate their food.
I did read recently that for products like home defense to be effective it needs to come in contact with a decent portion of their body. Spiders don’t drag their bellies so for it to be effective you need to actually spray it on them....
That being said... you will find a gallon in my garage.

I would think spring and fall (as temps near the mid 50’s) would be most important.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Set up a bird feeder nearby, the birds will eat them[/QUOTE

Home Defense if used regularly seems to do a nice job. Maybe because it helps eliminate their food.
I did read recently that for products like home defense to be effective it needs to come in contact with a decent portion of their body. Spiders don’t drag their bellies so for it to be effective you need to actually spray it on them....

I would think spring and fall (as temps near the mid 50’s) would be most important.
My neighbors close by have bird feeders and it don’t help. The birds around my area have plenty of bugs to eat that come from the lake.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,146 Posts
Osage orange seed pods repel em.. don't know if the trees grow in ohio.

Yes they do,,, I have 3 or 4 trees down the street from me,,, the pods drop on the road.
Way back, Grandma told me the same thing,,,,, but still to this day, I have no substantial proof that they really work.
I've been trying to repel 'bugs' & spiders with them since gradeschool.
When easily accessible, I place them in a bowl around my cellar windows.
THE WIFE CHEWS ON ME, when they start to rot! :<(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

My neighbor close by has bird feeders and it doesn’t help. The birds have lots of bugs to eat that come out of the lake.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
They do grow in Ohio. My parents used to put them in our basement. I have a covered porch and I don’t know if it would take of the spiders up under the roof.
If you place the feeder in the general vicinity of your problem, I'm sure it will attract more insect eating birds to the area regarding my thoughts on the distance of your neighbors bird feeder.

Perhaps I dont really know what I'm talking about,as I'm only spitballing an idea here but I figure birds hoping around close by would grab up all them spiders quickly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I use dog flea & tick spray.
My security cameras used to attract spiders constantly, spray the area and they go away.
Spiders are in the same "family" as ticks.

My porch light used to be a mess with webs and dead bugs caught in it...same thing, spray area around light with flea & tick spray - spiders leave.

You need to reapply monthly as it does wear off.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
As far as birds, some snack on spiders more than others... Carolina Wrens love the little monsters. Bluebirds, crows, Brown Creepers and sparrows are a few others.
Little nesting boxes will encourage Wrens to nest at your house and Bluebirds are easy to attract as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ortho home defense works very well. Spray all areas as mentioned above. Then also go out at night and spray the visible spiders. After a couple nights they are gone for awhile.
Live by lake erie and spiders are plentiful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts