close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spiders! Need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iron_Chef_CD, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

I have killed a ton of spiders in my apartment and I think I have been bitten while I was asleep several times over the last year.

Is there anything you can do to get rid of them? I have noticed several different species a light tan colored one, wolf spiders and one that looked like a wolf spider but had a blue hue to it. I'm afraid that one of these times I get bit it will have a nastier bite than what's already bitten me.

Thanks for any help!!!

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Wolfe spider used to run rampet where I used to live. We tried everything, the electronic plug ins, glue traps, etc.... They may have gotten some of them, but we never got them all. Good luck.

PS-We had a cat that would love to find them & kill them.

3. Iron_Chef_CD

Hey Mellon what kind of plug ins? Were they actually designed to kill/repel spiders?

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't get rid of them all but if it worked even slightly I would put it by my bed and sleep a little easier

4. Not sure if it's and old wives tail but people swear by placing osage oranges in the corners of a room. Cut them in half or put a good slit in them. The fumes are supposed to drive them away. I used to work at a place that sold them and we couldn't keep them in stock long enough. Just take a walk in the woods this time of year and you should find plenty.

You might not want to get rid of them though, lots of spiders means lots of prey like roaches, ants, flys, etc. They are natural exterminators and do a good job of cleaning out all the other pests. Easy to say though when you're not getting bit every night.

5. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Damn man, where you live, in a friggen dungeon? When researching the problem on the net, I just seen where vaccuming removes spider eggs buried in the fibers of your carpet. When is the last time you vaccumed? Be honest!

6. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

It's just that time of year. Spiders are looking to get indoors before winter hits. (I notice that when the spiders are wanting in - cold weather isn't far behind.) We live next to some woods and battle them non-stop this time of year. I need to re-spray around my house as I'm killing 2-3 every day. The damn things hang around my front door, and scoot inside when it's opened!

7. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

osage oranges work great

8. I have heard the same thing about the osages but I can not personally attest to it. We get plenty of them around our house as well. We have a ton of wolf spiders outside the house and in the garage. Every now and then they make their way into the house as well.

There are also some sprays that you can put around the foundation of your home. I have tried a couple of times years ago but I did not have the numbers of spiders back then anyway so I am not sure how much they worked. I have been thinking of giving that a try again one of these days.

A few years ago we built an addition on to our house. Around this time of the year the kitchen wall was torn out to connect the new addition. There was a short time where the additon was not really closed in yet and there was just plastic over the open wall. Every evening we would kill 10-12 of the wolf spiders in the kitchen. We would be in the other room with the lights off and I would make rounds frequently (commercial breaks). It was crazy for a while but the killing frost will go a long way to eliminating the ones that are not yet indoors.

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I was in my garage last week taking off my boots and put one hand on the wall while pulling them off and then looked up and about 3 inches from my hand was one of them damn wolf spiders that wasn't much smaller than my hand. Needless to say, I had to change my underwear for the 3rd time that day after that encounter. I had to kill the thing with a golf club it was so big.

10. My wife tried to get me to come home from work one day to kill one that had taken to the fireplace. Her comment was that the thing was as big as the brick on the fireplace.:eek:

I am no fan of them either and I make a consciious effort to rid the garage of them every trip out the door.

11. What the heck is an osage orange???

12. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Its that stuff they used in Vietnam as a defoliant in the jungles. Very dangerous. I would not use it!

13. Thanks Smallie ;) Just looked it up.To us country ppl they are called hedge apples :)

14. a golf club! that was a good one.

15. Iron_Chef_CD

Lol Glad to hear I'm not the only one with spider problems, thanks for the help. I'll have to try the hedge apple thing. Glad you looked it up truck I've never heard of an osage orange either :D

16. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

their is a wierd thing that grows down south called a monkey ball about grapefruit size and green and yellow i throw a few in the grage every fall and it seems to keep the spiders away...................i am having a mouse problem now dang cats brought one into the living room and were fighting over it i was hunting and the wife thought it was a toy untill it ran across the floor she was screaming and up on the chair freeked out man i wish i would have been home to see it she traped it and i had to kill it when i got home killed 6 in 3 days so far

17. I think what you are referring to are what many know as hedge apples or osage oranges.

18. If you don't mind lizards and your place is fairly warm and well sealed you could find yourself some cheap geckos or green anoles and let em run loose. Sound stupid but it worked for me once, of course I don't mind reptiles at all. I hate spiders though!

19. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Toooo funny! :D Golf clubs? Man, break out the BLUNDERBUS' and load it full of roofing nails! Works great!Smokes up the house real nice too. :D
    Raider(.)(.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  20. I had to kill the thing with a golf club it was so big. Gene, I am hopin' you hollered fore. I have had them so big that they actually screamed when you hit em'. Hitting them would just kinda tick em' off. Usta saddle em' up for the kids to ride. We are anglers, therefor we tell the truth. Vacuum, and yes they are preditors, mostly benificial in the house but indescriminate killers in the garden. I catch and release most of the ones from the house to the outside. Most people lie about the weight vs. length of wolf spiders and that is begining to irritate me.