close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spider Identification

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zfish, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

A good friend of mine at work killed this spider this morning. She said this is the 3rd one that they've seen around their house. I'm by all means no spider expert :)

I'm sure she'd appriciate if we can identify this thing. I think the size of that spider would actually bother me lol

Attached Files:

2. That's a Black House Spider(Achaearanea Tepidariorum)

3. Zfish

Hey Smallie,

This thing was about 2 inches long. From everything I'm reading it doesn't appear that the house spider gets that big. On the other hand it does look a lot like it ?

4. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Could it be a "Huntsman"?

5. I am absolutely not a spider guy, but neither the abdomen profile nor the described size seem right to me for Achaearanea tepidariorum or others of the cobweb weaver family. Digging around the Spiders of Ohio site or writing to Dr. Bradley who operates it might be helpful. Myself, I avoid killing spiders in my living space unless I know them to be potentially dangerous (that's only the brown recluse and the black widow in Ohio, and this gal is neither of those); after all, spiders are quite good at eating the bugs that want to eat me.

6. 2" long--:eek: :eek: that would be to big for a house spider, unless it got into some good roids. Good Luck with that beast.

7. Zfish

Well they killed it because they didnt know what it was and I couldnt remember what the brown recluse spider looked like but didnt think that was it.

8. The brown recluse is a bit smaller than you've described. It also has a light brown cephalothorax (head section) with a telltale dark, violin-shaped mark.

9. To me it looks most like an adult female wolf spider.

10. I was comingin here to post something very similar...so thanks!

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It's a black crappie.

12. fishslime

fishslime Catch it, then eat it :)

Yes good eat'n too lightly bread and pan fry

The spiders of ohio site as said earlier would be a good start i know they released a book of ohio spiders a couple years ago.

13. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

we used to have them in my old house all the time, used to see them up to like 3.5 inches in diameter. they're giant wolf spiders, and i hate them

14. Zfish

I was kind of wondering about a wolf spider but the pickture is kinda hard to tell. I have seen some pretty big ones.

Fishman. I think for you it would be cat bait :D

15. fishinrudy

fishinrudy Part time fisherman

You can tell from this picture that the spider is not two inches. I have caught many 3" spiders and this one does not even compare. I am glad you landed this spider, but there is no way it is even close to 2" as any one who has killed a 2" spider would know just from looking at the pictures....Sorry wrong thread. Tehetehe;) ;) ;)

16. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

All I know is that I hate spiders and the close-up pic of that thing is freak'in me out!!! WB

17. Doesn't look at all like a wolf spider to me.

18. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

;) you forgot to call him a liar on the weight of it to even though he didnt post one.....JK:p :p great reply.

19. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eugene
    Myself, I avoid killing spiders in my living space unless I know them to be potentially dangerous (that's only the brown recluse and the black widow in Ohio, and this gal is neither of those); after all, spiders are quite good at eating the bugs that want to eat me.

Quote:
    Originally posted by COmmodore 64
    I was comingin here to post something very similar...so thanks!

You two aren both nuts!! :p Spider = dead in my book. If it trespasses on my property then I'm killing it, no questions asked. No Way am I living with a 2" spider. I'd never sleep.

20. Y'all don't seem to realize there are many thousands of spider-like thingies already solidly roosted in your own flesh! Dust mites are as real as oxygen and much more solid.