Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be making the trip out to one of these lakes in the yak this coming weekend....I'm primarily fishing plastics.

Any recommendations on which lake to target? I hear nothing but good things about wellington upground, but also hear Spencer can be good for bass.

Thoughts?

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Go for bass at spencer.
There is lots of wood, stumps, and laydowns there.
Most looks awfully bassy.
You can go for cats too!
Ever fish for cats out of the yak???

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
They're close enough where you can do both. Wellington is a nice place to fish, with more species than spencer -- but the wind may be an issue. If getting an early start, I would hit wellington first. Go straight out from the ramp/parking lot until it gets shallow again. The lake is deep around the edges with a large area in the middle that's much shallower with good weeds and structure. Walleye and pike provide a nice bonus here. If it gets too windy (which it normally does), you can take the short trip to spencer.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I know the crappie have been hiting good at wellington up. Also Do you guys thiunk there is a small reprouduction on walleyes in the up???They have not put eyes in there since it was built.

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
The crappie fishing is about over at Wellington. I have caught one pike in about 5yrs of fishing Wellington and zero walleye. I have never targeted the walleye though. The bluegill fishing is pretty good right now on Wellington. I have fished Spencer one time before and if I was targeting bass there is no way I would fish Spencer over Wellington. Wellington is second to none on numbers of bass you will catch in a day. Kinda boring fishing though the same sight no matter were you fish there. Spencer looks much more like a bass lake and you aren't going around in circles on a rock line or in the middle....the middle at Wellington use to be a lot better fishing...not so much anymore. Those fish have been caught so many times they are pretty hard to catch. Especially with the soft plastics...they have been used a ton there. And today it's way way to windy to fish the up. The south res. sucks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
stay away from the south res. you can catch small crappies and cats there but thats about all. the upground is awesome. great to take kids to also. nothing better than seeing fish bite your bait

·
disMembered
56 Posts
Thanks for the info. One of my co-workers lives on the other side of the res, and tells me that he sees a lot of fish come out of it, but he was never sure what the species were. I stopped by there once, and it did, indeed, look nice, but I didn't get a chance to fish it. I must say, though, that the ramp looked a bit difficult, from what I can remember.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You might also want to try Oberlin Resevoir if you're in the area. I've done well on crappie there before.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like Spencer I fish that lake (lakes) a lot. I was there last week and the Bass were on there beds I was using plastic's Lizards and Crawfish, Did really well on the South lake. I was also out at Oberlin last week and managed to catch a lot of crappie. lol Also went to Wellington and got skunked! Wherever you go have fun and good luck!
I may actually head out to Spencer tomorrow (weather permitting) see y'all out there...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
zom b the ramp at the low ground res is small and steep. if you got trucks or cars parked around there it makes it a b*tch to use the ramp. that was the only ramp ive ever used that kinda scared me alittle.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've heard there is a second shallow hump at Wellington Upground, but have not found it yet. I haven't been there many times, but have had decent sucess on bluegills and bass on the main hump, caught a few bass around the shoreling. I've never got into the crappies, but have managed to catch at least one pike each time out. I haven't been there yet this year and am hoping to get over there in the coming week.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i dont know if its all the same hump or a sh#tload of little ones tied together, nut the humps run halfway down the res. you might be suprised if you go this week. i was there a couple weeks ago and the weeds were almost non- existent. they may have come up by now, but when i was there if you found any at all they were only inches high.

·
Banned
738 Posts
i was there last night no weeds yet.me and my bro got into some crappie. i never hooked a pike yet. the 2nd hump is not as big as the one in the middle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts