Speed Capable

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by rolland, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I am looking for a fish finder to use in the spring for trolling/fishing the inland lakes. When reaserching a lot of them have "Speed Capable". Does this mean it will tell you your MPH or do you need some other device/service along with it to get your MPH? I really want to be aware of my MPH for trolling purpouses. Anyone have a clue :confused:

2. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

Speed capable inplies a paddlewhell that is installed just under the waterline but what is better (In my opinion) is gps speed which is measured off a gps unit. Mine goes all the way down to .01 mph which is real slow. Most depthfinder/gps units built within the last 4 or 5 years are pretty sensitive . I have a humminbird 595c whick is definitly not top of the line.Hope this helps.

Rob

3. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

Thanks rob, that clears it up for me. If I buy a fish finder and want to use that for MPH then I have to make sure it comes with that wheel. I am sure the GPS would be more acuate and I will be getting a gps unit later in the summer but im trying to narrow my "to buy" list right now. Cleared it all up, thanks a ton.

4. Don't mean to steal this thread but on a related subject. Are pitot tube speedometers very accurate?

5. Not at all. Even the paddle wheels aren't that accurate at slower speeds.