close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Speaking of Cats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

What happened to Kitty King's sighting of the mountain lion, cougar ?? It wasn't a pink panther was it?
    Seriously, did the authorities find any evidence ? :confused:

2. Well I heard it was spotted without a collar and...well you know the rest.:p

That is a good question though. I am interested to hear more about additional sightings.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

On the serious side - I have heard that there were some released back into the wild in WV, towards the eastern panhandle. It was just rumor, I believe. However, if it is true it's not too hard to believe for them to roam into Ohio eventually. They say bears make it across the river from both states into Ohio and bears are on the rebound in Ohio. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing mountain lions back in the wild.

4. catking

catking Banned

To answer you JimmydaCat- There wasn't much they said they could do except to file it. As reported on this site, there have been numerous sightings throughout this state.... Just no hard evidence as far as pics... But I do know what I saw.... ;) As far as bobcats are concerned, there have been numerous verified sightings in the past 10 years. The ODNR said their numbers seem to be on the rise......... There was one killed on our farm a few years ago , not by me, that weighed 36 pounds...large cat it was... A full size Mountain lion isn't nowhere near the size of a Bengal tiger I do believe? A mountain lion can reach a length of 8 feet , sometimes 8 1/2 but even them are rare ? A Bengal Tiger reaches 12 - 12 1/2 feet and outweighs the mountain lion by several 100 pounds.... ;) THE CATKING !!!

5. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

If you want to see the true king of big cats, you have to check out one of the websites with info on Ligers. Captive crossbreeds of Lions & Tigers. The male variation ends up sterile but the female can be bred back to a male Lion or male Tiger. I thought it was a joke when my son asked me about it after seeing the movie Napoleon Dynamite. I told him it was bogus & he proved me wrong. Check this out:
    http://www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/cross02a.htm
    Check out the female that's at the bottom of the page. Also of note, the Sierra Nevada Zoo has a big male.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Napoleon Dynamite was funny.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

The 2nd pic of Liger, is doctored up. That head is not the true head, even the 1st one, you can see where the color & photo quality seems to differ.

8. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Mna, I guess your right. Thats strange as it gets. Thanks for cearing that up. I got on the main page of the site, there are all kinds of strange stuff. one guy has a mix of a Rotweiller & a Coyote!

10. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

There's tons more info on both ligers & tigons, if you do a search on msn.com or google or yahoo. I was pretty amazed. The bottom line is that Lions & Tigers are a heck of a lot bigger than mountain lions & I'm glad there aren't any female ligers running around wild!...LOL! The one big female reminds me of what a prehistoric sabre tooth tiger must have looked like, she could easily take your head off in one bite...LOL! The other thing to note, if doing a search, there are people out there keeping big cats as pets & selling them back & forth. It doesn't surprise me that the occasional big cat is getting loose somewhere. I also don't think it's impossible to believe that we will end up with wild mountain lions in Ohio at some point, if we don't already have them. I think the coyotes are really benefitting from all the urban sprawl where nobody hunts rabbits or squirells anymore. So they run into the occasional pet dog or cat while they're hunting for bunnies/squirells & they eat them to. Cougars could do the same but they might run into a child &...