close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spagetti Sauce Recipes

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by fishintiger, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Anyone got any recipes for spagetti sauce. I found out recently that I needed to change the way I'm eating. After talking with a dietation they told me that making my spagetti sauce was better for me that buying it in the store. So does anyone have a family secret for the sauce that they wouldn't mind sharing with me. I won't let me dog know the secret so she won't try to sell it. :D Thanks

2. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Try this out. Sorry I don't have measurements to go along but I did this and it was very tasty.

Cut tomatoes in half and seed them.
    Combine the tomatoes in a shallow roasting pan with:
    Onions
    Garlic
    Basil
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Bay leave
    Salt Pepper
    and if you like a sweet sauce some kind of sweetner (sugar, honey, etc.)

Roast these in a moderate oven (350) until everything is broke down and very soft.

Run through a food mill and you will have a very tasty sauce for spagetti, pizza, etc.

I got the idea from Alton Brown, Good Eats on TV network.

Bon appetite!!!

Jeff

3. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

4. Carmelize chopped onions in a pan with a little oil and slightly burn them, just so they have burnt spots all over before you add them to the sauce. You wouldnt believe how much flavor it adds to the sauce. I learned that from my brother in law who is Italian and claims it is an old family recipe. Its meant to be part of a from scratch recipe but I do that and add to store bought to flavor it up . Also, if you like tangy or tart sauce but dont want it to be salty just add lemon juice.

5. 2 large yellow onions roughly chopped, soften on med heat in fat free cooking spray.

Add 5 cloves thinly sliced garlic

Add 2 lbs lean ground turkey, until brown, drain well.

Add 1 large can whole tomato (gently crush each tomato with hand before adding)

Add 1 large can tomato sauce.

Add 1 med can tomato paste.

Add dried oregano, dried basil, salt, pepper to taste.

Bring to slow boil, reduce to low and simmer for 30 min STIRRING FREQUENTLY.

** Replace the turkey with diced zuccinni for a totally fat free sauce.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

When we cook down our garden tomatoes we add brown sugar. If the sauce is for me and not the wife I'll add cayenne, chili and crushed red peppers too.
    Cook it slow with a screen over the pot for eight hours or so. I also put it in a blender before I bag and freeze it.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

nobody can tell me whats in mine but the commercial says "it's in there"...LOL:D

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

kraft make a tasty little package with all the ingredients for a pasgetti dinner. and needs nothing else. but i think he needs a salt free sauce.

9. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!

Here's the real deal (how much seasoning depends on you, though):

On low heat, drizzle a couple TBS of olive oil and soften about 7-8 large cloves of garlic, plus chopped shallots or onion. Add 3 large cans of tomato sauce (Dei Fratelli is the best), 1 can tomato paste, then fill the tomato paste can with water and add it to the sauce. Season with oregano, basil, thyme (dash), salt, and a little sugar. Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to a simmer. I strongly recommend adding some type of pork (cheaper shoulder blade chops, sausage, plus any beef if you want... brown it until it is pretty much cooked through beforehand). If you are doing meat sauce, use 1/2 gr beef and 1/2 gr pork. You must remember... PORK FAT RULES! Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours.

Now, for a great quick and easy version:

Heat a skillet. Add a little olive oil, then saute 3-5 cloves garlic and chopped shallots or onion until flavors are infused in olive oil. Add 2 cans of diced/chopped tomatoes, fresh herbs (iuse basil and thyme) A dash of any kind of red or white wine (a small splash of balsamic vinegar works in a pinch), dash of salt. Cook on med-high heat just long enough to heat tomatoes through and cook off some of the water from the tomatoes. All in all, this takes about 10 minutes, once your veggies are chopped, etc. It would be good to saute some shrooms and/or peppers in with this one, before you add the tomatoes. Just start them before your garlic and onions, so they don't burn and get bitter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. For low sodium or sodium free.......use lemon juice. Use a lot, and believe it or not it tastes great. To add a little sumthin, sumthin.....zest the peel too into the sauce while cooking mmmmmmmmmmmm!!