Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this post to get the latest on the White Bass run in the creeks and rivers. We fished today from 0630 to noon in the creek of Caeser Creek Lake and caught only a few. This in an area that has produced very well in the past years. Caught all males and not really that big. Wondering what the status of this year's WB run is. Post here to report what everyone is finding out in the SW region.

·
Registered
88 Posts
TheKing - I made the same mistake Friday evening. Hundreds of carp spawning around dusk. I think they've moved on. Water temps in the creek were 70-74.

·
Registered
142 Posts
TheKing - The WB run is affected by more variables than I understand. I do know that over the years it is not uncommon for CC to report the WB run is going strong and those of us at CJ finding minimal WB moving into the creeks, or...visa versa. Each lake/creek's WB Run starts are different times within the same seasonal window. CC's WB rin could very well be over, but I haven't read of any post on this site that it had even started.

Here at CJ, the run seems like it has just started within the last few days or is about to. I am easily catching 40-50 within a 1-2 hour period in the late afternoon early evening. Last night I lost count at 28, but guess roughly 40 as a total. Flathead King O6 hasn't posted lately, cuz he's tearing them up in New Moorefield right now.

That's what is happening here. Good luck.

Whiskers

·
Registered
101 Posts
I fished at moorefield Thursday night and caught 2 nice sized females right as it got dark. (it was elbow to elbow out there)

I also fished there sat morning and caught nothing. I was focusing between the rr bridge and the main lake, using a roostertail.

Are the WB really slow to bite except right at sundown? Any suggestions?

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
Seems that its winding down on the river and the water temps are up (68-70) in the creeks. Last year we were still tearing them up at the dam all through May.

I was doing quite well all the way back in March when it was still snowing! Last few trips out, I've been lucky to catch a couple of fish of any kind.

Cw

·
Registered
142 Posts
The cold front has slowed down the WB bite at buck creek. Was out last night and caught less than 10. Others were pulling in a few here and there south of the NM bridge, but nothing like it has been all of last week.

I've only caught 1 female this whole season. That's why I believe the run is about to start at BC. I think we need the weather to get warm again and holds for a while.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
hey guys...the WB bite in buck creek has really had a damper put on it due to the cooler temps at night...although there are still a few scragglers along the south end of the bridge heading back out towards the lake they can still be caught...the majority of the fish including the large females have moved up into the creek more and due to limitations on public access, looks like they have escaped us. Went down to a regular spot between the trussel and the bridge in moorefield last night and caught only 10-12 small jacks in about an hour, but watched several people pull in around 20 on minnows on the bottom...out of the fish I filleted this weekend, 4 were females and 2 of those were completely spawned out!!! although they were the smaller females which may have been up in the creek longer than most, this isnt a good sign :( but according to several reports and the report whishers has given...it sounds like they are still in the creek just way up north

Flathead

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last month the day before we got the bad cold snap i was fishing new burlington rd in cc i caught over 40 males in about 2 hours time on a rooster tail. iv been back avary week since and have not caught more than one. i think its over for CC for sure and the Creek is up now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts