close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Southwest Outing @ Rocky Fork

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by TimJC, Jun 3, 2004.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Alright, now that Shawn has posted the info whose gonna be there.

I will not be able to fish the event in its entirety as I have to work both friday and sunday. I do, however, plan on getting there wednesday evening and fishing into friday morning. I then plan on making the trip back sometime before midnight on friday and fish until really early sunday morning. Well that is at least the plan. I still need to figure sleep into the equation but who needs that (besides my lazy ass).

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I plan on being there for awhile saturday.

3. Hoping to be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...at the very least i'll fish all day saturday into sunday morning.

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Hey Jack, could you possibly point me to other places with deeper water access. The problem with the venue for this outing seems (after looking a topo map) to be the lack of water over 6 feet deep. This spot will make for a nice night bite but with daily temps hitting the upper 80's we're gonna have some trouble catching in the day (as well as stay hydrated). For that matter the night bite might also kick in way later into evening (morning) and last til after sunrise. The weather for next week is not looking good at this point. It looks like a lot more rain. How is all this incoming water going to effect fishing in the upper portion of the lake that we will be in? Link to Weather for Hillsboro.

5. catking

catking Banned

This area is shallow, but this lake is a little diffrent than some. The carp still are there. And some big ones. The carp are not in deep water yet anyway around this area. The water temps are not warm enough. They are still in the 70's. Anyways, IF it does rain alot, this are gets muddy fast. But that doesn't seem to bother these carp anyways???Like Tim said, lets get a head count on who will be there. I'll be dropping by Friday evening and Saturday afternoon through the evening. I know crappielooker is coming. CATKING

6. i plan on showing up...anyone want to cookout on sat night?

7. flathunter

I cant believe that weather forcast, when will this crap ever end????

8. flathunter

Tim, I dont know the lake very well so I cant help you on that...Rocky is not a flood controll lake so they wont be backing up water after a heavy rain so we should be ok.

9. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I am still unsure if I can make it or not, maybe one day on Saturday. This summer is starting to get kind of crazy, it is looking like I will be missing the Tappan lake outing as well. If it rains no problem, my bite alarms have already proved to be up to the task, and I will also get to put my new Frogg Toggs t the test :)

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Tim,
    I will be there Friday after i get off work(7:15pm) and stay til sunday(weather permitting that is).
    Hope to see you all there.

Scott

11. I will be there Saturday or Sunday morning unless the Ohio River falls enough for a chance at some stripers. I plan to do some bassin :eek: But, I have caught many carp at RF on Rebel Wee Crawls. I will roll by to say hello and hopefully get a look at some Euro gear. I have been planning to purchase a pair of rods and pod for some time now, but have never had an opportunity to see the gear.

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I'm thinking that the rain might not be as bad as the link I posted above indicates. The weather channel's website is notorious for being wrong. As long as the nights are rain free I'll be happy.

13. flathunter

Mark my word it will rain heavy for the next few days, why?..Because the river I fish is now fishable but I am sure by the weekend it wont be due to high water.

14. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

For all those outside of SW Ohio, it hasn't rained much at all today in Cincinnati. Just a few brief periods of drizzle. So take the weather predictions on the link I posted on the previous page with a grain of salt.

I'm getting ready to hit the road and plan on being at Rocky Fork by 8:30p (Mapquest says it's 1.5 hours for a 57 mile trip). I'll report back tomorrow afternoon on my catches (or lack there of).

15. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

So is anyone out there right now, I was gonna head over and head out early in the evening, but if no ones there I probably won't go.

16. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

yeah, i just got here and tim just left..the rain came hard for about 10 minutes..i'm driving around trying to find more spots to fish..the whole lake looks very carpy to me..plus too many spots to try out..i will be somewhere around the northend of the lake..if someone comes by and don't see me by the campground..i should be somewhere along the north end..
    i'm at the hillsboro library right now and will head back to the lake shortly..
    see you all out here..the weather ain't too bad..
    Ak..
    PS..my cell phone do not work out here at all..

17. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I just got home for a little rest and bait making before work. The carp really stack up in this area at night. I had one little fish on royal carp redstar boilies but lost it while fooling with the drag on the new reel. I got a second on pescaviva with some homemade dough and it was about 6lbs. The fish were splashing all night and kept tapping my lines.

The weather last night and today was awesome. Only two VERY breif periods of rain this morning. I hope to be back at the campground before midnight.

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

hey...where in the campgrounds are you guys????
    Im thinking of heading down, but have NEVER been to this campground/lake and dont want to be searching all night for people i know.
    is there many open campsites around where you are??
    I'll decided after looking at the NORA weather channel if im heading down or not tonight...if not look for me EARLY in the morning.
    Hope to find you guys.......

Scott

19. catking

catking Banned

Just go into the main entrance and keep to the left.I believe the second road to the left once you pass the main entrance building, (the first stop sing, turn left. Go all the way back (the lake will always be to your left, People are at the point. You cannot miss this. cwcarper, Gill Girl & crappielooker are there now. traphunter and carphunter were there earlier, as was TimJC, but they left for various reasons, but are returning. I'll be around tomorrow after I get home from work....... CATKING :)

20. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Scott,
    When entering the campground you will want to take the second left at passing the range station. The area is a small loop that has parking on the outer end and a shaded picnic area at its center. There are several campsites close to this area that aren't being used. I think they are primitive sites and the numbers are written on the road from 215-235 (this is an estimate). The fishing area is REALLY close to the parking lot and last night I spent a fair amount of time watching my alarms from my car (no the weather was not bad either). I'm getting ready to leave now and meet whom ever is down there. I hope to be there before midnight. Also Ak might not be fishing at this area. He left me a message about a spot at the marina. I'll send you a PM scott.