Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My name is Joe and I'm relatively new to the area. I'm trying to find some great fishing locations. I know that if you're like me you won't divuldge the true "hot spots", but I'm hoping to get some information on where some good places to start are.

About me, I'm in the Air Force and moved here a few months ago. Just now getting ready to get into the outdoors scene around here. I grew up in Wyoming where I did a lot of hunting and fishing growing up. We mostly caught trout, walleye, and catfish back home. But, I've done a little bass and crappie fishing in Mississippi and North Carolina on previous assignments.

I don't have a boat, so I'm a shore fisherman. I prefer to take my catch home and try new recipes and ways too cook with fish and game meat.

I'm stationed at Wright Patt in Dayton, and about the only place I've heard of so far is Ceaser Creek. I don't mind going to busy areas, but I prefer the serenity of a calm, quit lake, river, stream over the crowded ones. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
411 Posts
You would probably get some better advice if you posted this in the SW Ohio forum section because there is a lot of guys in there that know a ton about fishing. Now being at wright patt you are right by the Great Miami river which is great fishing when it's not so high right
Now because all of the rain. All along the banks on the GMR there's a lot of weeds and occasional wood lays downs and that's where bass like to hang out. If you find shallow enough stretches of river you could wade it and fish which is a ton of fun. The GMR is also good for catfish and whenever I get to fish it l, it seems like my dad and me always catch a few saugeye. Both cats and saugeye are good eating but you got watch how much you eat from the GMR in Dayton and below because there is a consumption advisory and I believe it's one mean every 2 weeks or maybe a month. The LIttle miami ricer is also kind of close to you and it's in a little better shape than the GMR not as high but still a little muddy so you could give it a try also

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, and I'll be sure to post this over to the forum you recommended. Back home I did some river fishing, but it was tough because of all the rocks and boulders that accumulate in the rivers. You lose hooks and lures quick and often but the payoff can be great. I'm sure I'll give the GMR a go sometime soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts