Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too rough for us Wed. Went to Mazurik's after dark and played with crappie and bass for a few hours until the wind blew me away. Didn't look good for Thursday, but we'll see. Thursday morning, went to Mazuriks. Lots of trailers in the lot, big pack of boats southwest of Kelley's. We joined the pack and after about 4 hours and as many drifts to the southeast corner of the island next to the ferry lanes, managed 15 walleye. Larger fish seemed to come up off the southeast corner. Great eating size as most were '03 class. Gold erie dearies and green/white 3/4 to 1 oz. dragged across the bottom were the ticket for us. The drift was smokin' by the time we left. Great trip and beautiful weather minus the wind and waves. They were rollin' 4 to 6 by the time we called it.

Loved every minute of it!:cool:

By the way, went to Nick's Roadhouse for a cold one. As you enter the bar, second stool from the corner (left), my dollar is taped overhead. It says "THE RIOT" (And Then Some), John, Paul, and Sam 7/11/07.:D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
4-6' rollers.....you drifters are a hardy crowd!

I'ld be talkin with Ralph myself.

Nice job on toughin it out and putting a few in the cooler........nice job takin a few out of the cooler also!!!

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just a follow up to Wednesday. It was just short of a slaughter on Wednesday south of Kelleys. The fish were from the SE corner all the way west to Starve Island reef. Most boats, including myself, had limited before noon. We had 7 full limits and caught and released another hour or so.

Canada produced full boat limits (5-7 person) sooner. Most of the charters left the dock between 6-6:30am and were returning by 9:30am. Still, this year in the western basin is as good or better then last year!

Out further west, limits by drifters and some trollers, were done nearly as fast. Except the bite changed a bit around noon when the wind shifted some to the north and diminished slightly. Today I had the day off, did boat maintenance and sorted lures, restrung rods. Good catches off the C-can area and 3 miles north. Decent catches off the Moose club along the beach west of Port Clinton in 18-22 ft. of water.

Wow ........., the western basin fishing hasn't slowed abit. Still plenty of fish. Mostly in the 3 and 4 year old class (17-22 in.), with a few trophies, if you can get the lure to them before the slightly smaller fish take it. Water temp off the sought side of Kelleys is 73 degrees and 74 degrees further out west. Still, some of the best fishing has yet happened. By the way, it is a known fact for walleyes this time of year to chase or follow schools of bait into the shallows, regardless of water temps. July is always a awesome time for 'Rock' anglers to have fun over shallow hard bottom for walleyes.

·
Administrator
9,499 Posts
It should never be about how fast you got them IMO. It's the over-all experience. Being out on the water AND catching fish too... don't get any better. ;)

Personally, I'd be upset paying for a 1/2 day charter and only out 3 hours.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
i am envious for shure , might have to make the trip west. plenty of fish here too ,but mostly for trollin as they are spread out pretty well. good job on them eyes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It should never be about how fast you got them IMO. It's the over-all experience. Being out on the water AND catching fish too... don't get any better. ;)

Personally, I'd be upset paying for a 1/2 day charter and only out 3 hours.
I'm not sure if this thread is in reference about my report, but all I'm stating is information about the quality of the fishing this summer again in the western basin, as in all the other report.

I to would be upset about paying for a full day and getting only 5 hours or less. But I don't feel it's necessary to include anything about the clients wish's that they may have wanted to head back in because it's rough, as it was on alot of the days the past week or someone's already sick, or they have a long drive ahead of them.

Many times I stay longer or even take them to visit one of the islands to finish out the day. Keep in mind that everyone may not be hardcore anglers and are happy to head back to dock because they are on vacation.

This is the "Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports
Lake Erie Fishing Reports" forum right? Nobody's to blame here but the fish for biting as well as they have this summer. I don't understand how you can be upset or include this type of statement for merely giving a fishing report?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I too have seen the its all about the (experience) fishermen. B.I.L. for
one seem's they are the first ones to remember the poor trips odd?
I think you did everyone a favor with posting your report. Thats what
this site is all about in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey folks, let's not turn this into "the other" site. Getting into these urinating matches are what will turn this wonderful site into being just like the others. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Administrator
9,499 Posts
Sorry, I thought my comment was rather inocuious.
It was my opinion, nothing personal Hunt-n-Fish.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yea, after giving it some thought I maybe should have toned it down alittle. I do agree sith some of the other sites. I've found this one to be pretty much "on" with Lake erie info.

It's just that charters get alot of bad mouthing for whatever reason. The not-so-funny thing is that you may have a great charter captain who has someone on his boat who is not compatible with his clients. The captain may be very good, work hard, but for whatever reason, it's the day ...., the attitudes ....., expectations ....., somebody having serious things on his/her minds, ... many other things and the trip will be the worst.

In giving fishing reports/info it's just not essential to give all the other facts that don't apply to information stated. And yes I agree, if you're done early in the day it is a good thing make an effort to give a full day on the lake, ..... regardless how! That's what I do.

Have a great day. So far it's been excellent on the lake again today. Same report as earlier. Wait until tomorrow. Check the forecasts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts