close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

South Licking - Falmouth, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by BMustang, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Fished the South Licking at Falmouth, Kentucky yesterday (August 1st) and was shocked to find it up and running at springlike depths/currents.

My question is - Where did/does all of that water come from, seeing how we are in a prolonged drought and I was anticipating extremely low pool conditions???

My only thought is that it might be from the tailwaters of Cave Run Lake.

Any insights???

Incidentally, a couple of 10" smallmouth constituted the catch, but it was great to get out and do some wade-fishing.

2. I know what you're talking about. I live in Lexington. We are in an overall drought because it was so dry in the spring, especially in May and June.

July, however, was wetter than average. That's why the river levels are up. Lexington even had about 4 inches of rain last week alone. Some parts had a lot more. If you notice the drought index the weather people reference in the news, you'll see we went from Severe Drought to Moderate Drought during July.

Since we haven't had rain in about a week and the chance of rain for the next week is very slim, especially given the heat and dryness we have now, you'll probably see the Licking River drop substantially by next week.

3. Thanks!

You seem to have hit it on the head. I wasn't aware of the heavy rainfall just south of us, which would indeed effect the South Licking.

We could use a little of that up here in NoKy.