Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it's that time of year again. But truly anytime is soup time. I've done many good soups but a few just stand out for me. I just finished making this soup for this weekend to go along with some Ken Rollins Texas grilled cheese sandwiches.
Enjoy

Tomato Basil soup.

here is the recipe
Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup | Ambitious Kitchen

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That looks GREAT!!

Here's one of my favorite soups from Olive Garden. Zuppa

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

3 russet potatoes, chopped

6 cups chicken broth

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped

1 cup half and half

Directions

1.Set a 6-qt Instant Pot® to the high saute setting. Add olive oil and sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.

2. Add garlic, onion and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.

3. Stir in potatoes and chicken broth; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

4.Cook on medium heat till spuds are done.

5. Stir in kale until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in half and half until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

6. Serve immediately.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Walleye chowder

Chop a pound of bacon into lardons, render and crisp in dutch oven. Remove and drain bacon. Reserve a couple Tbs rendered bacon fat, drain the rest. Season with S&P and sautee in bacon fat 1 chopped yellow onion and a few chopped celery ribs until soft. When veg has softened add a couple cloves minced garlic and a few Tbs flour to set up a roux. Lightly toast roux then deglaze pan with some white wine. Slowly add whole milk to roux to form a runny cream sauce/soup base (starch from taters will further thicken it). Add cubed ******* potatoes and simmer until taters are cooked to desired doneness. About a half hour temp depending. Once you're there add a can or two of chopped clam with juices. Add cubed walleye fillets and simmer for a couple minutes just until cooked through. Check seasoning and add salt if necessary. Garnish with bacon, chopped green onions, parsley, a touch of your favorite hot sauce, and serve with a good crusty bread. Play with your own ingredient proportions I like mine more like a stew with just enough liquid left over to be soaked up by my bread.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I recently made a recipe from the pioneer woman website. It was called "Italian chicken soup" it came out really good. Sorry, I can't figure out how to do a link and too bad of a typist to write it all out! Haha. If you search it will come up I'm sure! Or, maybe someone smarter than me can provide the link.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go

Italian Chicken Soup Ree Drummond Sep 12, 2011

chickensoup

The Pioneer Woman
A yummy, hearty, family-friendly chicken soup with a great Italian flavor. Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins

Ingredients
1 box Ditalini Pasta (very Short Macaroni-type Pasta Noodles)
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 whole Cut Up Fryer Chicken
8 c. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
2 whole Green Bell Peppers, Diced
2 stalks Celery, Diced
2 whole Fresh Jalapenos, Diced
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 can (28-ounce) Can Whole Tomatoes
2 c. Heavy Cream
1/3 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp.Fresh Oregeno
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper, To Taste
Parmesan Cheese Shavings, For Serving

Directions
Cook pasta in a pot according to package directions, being sure not to overcook it. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool. Toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
Place chicken in a large pot or dutch oven and cover in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer chicken, covered, for 30 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and shred meat. Discard bones and set meat aside.

Dice canned tomatoes and return them to their juice. Set aside.

Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and oregano and turn off heat, stirring over the next minute to keep oregano from burning. Set this aside.

Either pour off chicken broth into a separate container or use a new pot to saute onion, green pepper, celery, and jalapenos in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add cooked pasta, cream, and all the oregano and olive oil from the small skillet. Stir to combine. Turn off heat.

Serve with lots of Parmesan sprinkled on the top--the more the better! Crusty Italian bread is good, too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does skyline count? It's not really chili, but it is awesome. Since the closest one is some 4 hours away I've had to work out my own recipe. Make a big batch with ground venison about 4 or 5 gallons every year and freeze it. Tastes as good the day it's thawed as the day it was made, maybe better. Recipe is in a bank vault though. Although I do enjoy the nostalgia when I go, mine is better. Haven't perfected white castle nor have I tried, that one I save that for my annual trip to see family in the nasty-nati.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Making a batch of beef (deer) barley soup right now...just loosely follow the recipe on the back of the barley box...throw in what veggies I have, what I need to get rid of, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts