Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking for a fishing kayak for sometime. Most of my fishing will be on lakes and maybe LMR. I am 6’2” and 200lbs and I seem to pack rather heavy when I bank fish/wade.

I believe that I have narrowed the search down to a Wilderness System Tarpon 120 or the Wilderness System Ride 135. There are a lot of great reviews on the Tarpon and it seems like a great kayak, however I like the specs a little more regarding the Ride 135 but there are hardly any reviews for this kayak. What attracted me to this kayak was it is a little deeper and wider; weight is about the same. I have not seen this kayak so seeing it firsthand could make this decisions for me however it will be a little while until I can get to D&D Outfitters.

Has anyone tried the Wilderness System Ride 135 or is the Tarpon just the way to go ?

Thank for the help

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have no experience with the ride 135 but I have a tarpon 120 and love it. Its very stable and easy to fish out of, plenty of room for tackle and whatever else you might bring. Also has a good amount of leg room i am 6'4'' 215lbs and I had to remove the foot pegs but fit perfect now. good luck with your purchase you wont regret it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
old town makes nice boats. i have a loon 111, it's 11 feet long with a very large cockpit. lots of room behind the seat, and up front aswell. actually i can fit my entire campsite in my boat. eg. small tent, foam sleeping mat, small cooler and my fishing gear.

i'm a big guy, 6foot 265lbs, and have no problems with fit and comfort of my boat.

1 thing to look for with old town boats. pay attention to what its made out of. the make the boats out of single layer poly, or they have a RamX type material thats a sandwich of a few different plastics. my boat is the second type hull, its very thick and durable. i'm bad about not getting out of my boat and just scraping my way through any riffles. after 5 years of regular abuse its still dry. and i'm told that kind of plastic is repairable.
just pay attention to the hull material what ever brand you end up with.

enjoy your new boat and srry for the long post.0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts