Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Carp53.65
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today didn’t go quite as planned. My son has been kinda on the fence about hunting. To try and peak his interest I purchased a Thompson Center Hawken flintlock .50 cal for him to hunt with. Yesterday he came as close as you could to shooting a 10 point that was pushing around 140” with it. He put down the gun and said that he did not feel comfortable taking the shot at around 75 yards. This morning with rain in the forecast I said let’s just bring the 20 gauge as well just in case something happens. This doe comes in right off the bat. Standing broadside at 30 yards he goes to shoot and the flintlock does not go off. He slowly hands me the flintlock and points to the 20 gauge in the blind. After the handoff the picture tells the rest of the story as far as shooting the deer. His goal is now to shoot a buck with the rock gun so hopefully we can make that happen. Good luck to all the kids still out hunting.
Trophy hunting Plant Hunting Deer hunting Plant community
Trophy hunting Plant Hunting Deer hunting Plant community

·
Carp53.65
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Years ago I said that if I ever hit anything good on a scratch off lottery ticket that I would never buy another one again. I hit one for 500 and never bought another one since. When I cashed it out I came home told my son to pick out a case knife that he wanted for scouts and that I would get it for him. He picked out a trapper knife. Before ordering one I looked them over hard and bought a collectors version. When the knives came in the mail I showed my son the knife that I purchased for myself. He was like that knife is sick. I love that are you going to use it? I replied no it’s a collectors knife and it might be worth something someday. That totally bothered him that I would buy something and just to sit on and sell latter. So I pull out my regular deer knife and hand it to him. I told him you can use this knife. If you don’t wanna use this knife you are welcome to use this one instead. His eyes when he realized that the whole thing was a set up to troll him all along with the intensions to give him both knives all along. Needless to say he has a bloody “collectors knife” for him to have as a memory of him taking his first deer. He asked why did you buy a knife with a wild turkey on it? Well it was just a little forward thinking that when you use this knife that maybe come spring you might want to go turkey hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts