Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a new huminbird GPS/Fish Finder unit. Got everything put together and tried it out today at Buckeye. The problem is the sonar unit after a while of running will pop out of the locking mechinism that it folds into and clicks when it is more or less shut. While it is in the holder it works fine but when it flips up of course it doesn't read properly. Do I have the sonar unit too low under the hull? Or do i need to adjust the unit to where it would be parallel to the bottom of the lake?
I used their little cut out to put this part on, man was it tough holding that piece of paper up to the hull.:C
Thanks for any help.
Ron

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
I have always mounted my transducers so their bottom surface is about 1/8" below the bottom of the boat. I don't understand your description of it flipping up but assume you are referring to it being too loose in the bracket. If it is mounted too far below the bottom of the boat, the force of the water will flip it up.

·
The one others want to be
2,220 Posts
If the bolt s a shouldered style bolt and you can't tighten it anymore, add a thin rubber washer between the transducer and the bracket. Otherwise just snug the blt down a bit more to hold the thing down. The 'ducer should be riding even with or just slightly above the bottom of you boat. When you are running, the water will come up against the 'ducer just fine. If you hang it below the hull, water pressure can force the 'ducer up or debris will hit it.

UFM82

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Yes, it does sound like it is mounted to low. Also it should be mounted as far from the motor as possible. Do you have a picture of the transducer mounted on the boat?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responed to my question. I guess the first thing I need to clear is that is was the transducer that I was having a problem with. After reading what Ron had said about how low below the hull he installs his, I pulled my boat in the garage tonight and measured. It was almost a full inch below the hull, but the crazy thing about is that the holes I drilled were from the template they provided in the instuctions. So I went back and refigured the hole drilling and it pretty much ends up that i needed to drill for a fiberglass boat instead of the aluminum like they said to do. So now it fits the template they put in for the angle of the transducer and it is now 3/8 inch below the hull which is what the template measures. So now I need to get on the water and see if it works or not. Wish me luck, I am trying to get ready for the Turtlecreek outing in a couple weeks.
Thanks again everyone:)
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts