Sonar and GPS

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by linen0ise, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hello,

I recently purchased a duck hunting/fishing 15 foot boat. The only thing I need to outfit the boat with is a sonar (preferably w/ GPS.). I do not need a huge unit, but would like one that has quick disconnects from the transducer/ etc.

I just began looking at my options and I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of units and cost variance among them. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start with this process? I do not need a top-of-the-line $2000.00 finder, but I would like to have waypoints, water depth, temp, etc.

Any help is appreciated,

Brian

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

agle sells a decent unit w/ gps for $200.00

3. Eagle is made by Lowrance, correct?

4. Lowrance is the King. You can get a great unit for about $500 that has all you need, like gps

5. I would stay away from Lowrance. They have had alot of quality issues over the last 3 years or so. Do a search on walleyecentral.com and you'll see all kind of issues with their units. If you want a quick disconnect unit, I think that the Humminbird units are a single button push to disconnect. Atleast they were a couple years ago.

6. Thanks for the replies! There are so many units!

Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin units? I was just looking at a few today.

7. I have an Eagle FishElite 640C IGPS and love it. I do admit I had a problem about 8 months after purchase but I called them up and after some attempts to fix it over the phone they had me send it in. They then sent me a brand new unit at no cost to me at all. I was on a waiting list for this unit so I got one of the first ones. Haven't had any problems at all with the new one. It's got 640 vertical pixels that really gives you good target separation, color screen, GPS.

8. Thanks. I'll probably end up hitting a Cabela's so I can see a bunch of these units back-to-back. They all look great in the pictures but I'm sure there are menu systems, etc. that one person might prefer over another.