close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sometimes I take for granted....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Aug 23, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Most everyone that knows me, knows that I love to fish, and have been fishing since I can remember. Until the internet days, it was basically learn the hardway. Trial and Error I guess. Through the years I have learned alot, through friends, and the internet. Last week, I was talking to a co-worker that started telling me a story about how his nephew didn't really have a father in his life, and that he was his really the only father figure that child had at this time. The co-worker kept on asking me lots of questions about basic fishing stuff in general, when he just came out and said he didn't know how or where to fish, and the reason he was asking so many questions was because his nephew kept asking him all season to take him fishing. The co-worker didn't know much about a bobber even. Right then and there, I realized that I take for granted the things I have learned over the years.

At the company I work for, we have co-ops that are from other countries as well. One in paticular is from India. And he loved to fish when he was home, but now in the states, he has no idea what a spinning reel is, bait caster, lures, etc.... I usually bring my stuff to work, due to I fish after 5pm. One day he and I went to lunch, and I figured I would show him some of my stuff. You should have seen his face. He had no idea what anything truly was. He tells me stories about how they fish back in India, none of which includes reels. Mostly nets and traps.

The reason I tell these 2 stories is to remind those of us that fish on a regular basis, and attempt to learn things new all the time, to never forget how fortunate we are, and to pass on some of our knowledge to those whom are interested to fish, but don't know where to start.

flash----------------------------------out

2. catking

catking Banned

That is what it is all about Ben. We all have to remember that at times, people who haven't got the slightest idea about the basics of fishing, post questions and pictures that alot of us either question or don't want to give the time of day to answer. People don't realize just how many guys and gals really haven't a clue about fishing but want to learn. These new fishermen/women are what I'm part of this site for mainly.Spreading the word about fishing and sharing common knowledge ;) My ideal fishing trip? To fish with somebody that needs a little help with the gear the basics. I remember one time a woman and her small son was fishing close by . You could just tell the boy wanted to catch a fish really bad, but mom had no idea about how to even cast his pole, let alone bobber& bait. Took me all of five minutes to show the boy how to do it, and he got the hang of it really quick.He caught a few 'gills and was tickled to death. His mom had that look of relief ;) ................... THE CATKING !!!

3. Well said, Ben. Nothing gives me more joy than to take someone new and see the look on their face when they hook into one. We take little things for granted, but sometimes just catching a bluegill on a bobber is a thrill to a beginner of any age.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Archman, just like when I took you for your first pike. Though it was small, it sparked your interest, and now your probably fishing the river more than me.... :) The look on your face made it worth the time spent showing you how and where to catch them.

flash-----------------------------out

5. You are correct. Unfortunately, I've only nailed one since :(

6. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Super post, Ben. Thanks for sharing.

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Ben: Very nice post. Maybe some on here will take the time to really read this and give back a little of their knowledge to those that want help but are just to shy to ask. Giving something back is just a small way of assuring there will be good outdoorsman for years to come.

8. When I first read this it brought back a memory from last week when I was at Salt Fork. I was walking back to the boat after parking the trailer and 2 boys were fishing off the docks were having a hard time unhooking a blue gill. I asked them if they needed help and showed them how to get it off the hook. They had big smiles on their faces and it was just great to help them out.... :)

9. Last year I got married to a super lady that has 4 children that has never been fishing or hunting. To take my step kids out fishing or hunting I think is a total blast for them and for me also. Just to see their faces when they catch a fish or to see a deer , turkey ,or squirrel , I would never exchange it for nothing in this world. Great post..... Rich

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good deal & get that kid on the internet, even if he has to use a computer at the library.......Jim